NTDS and VSS failure Warnings

With every file backup I get the following warnings:

2023-01-27 08:01:41(warning): Writer NTDS has failure state VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_POST_SNAPSHOT with error VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE. UrBackup will continue with the backup but the associated data may not be consistent.
2023-01-27 08:01:41(warning): Writer is in error state during snapshot creation. Writer data may not be consistent. This means the files open by this application (e.g. databases) will be backed up in a crash consistent state instead of a properly shutdown state. Properly written applications can recover from system crashes or power failures.

Since I get no info which files might be affected I cannot check if there is any problem.

How would I go about removing the cause for the warning? Or if the cause cannot be removed, how would I check if the data is intact?

Thanks in advance for your replies and best regards.

Most likely source for further information is the Event Viewer of the affected system (eventvwr).

I have this all the time, in my case it’s mostly related to timeouts of some MSSQL Desktop Engine not writing the snapshot in time. The consequence should be “crash consistency” instead of a higher level of consistency of the affected database, i.e. as if the computer would have been cut from power at the point of snapshot creation. I can live with that.

1 Like