Need to change server IP in the local LAN

I set up my Urbackup Server (Docker image) in my old home network. Now I set up VLANs for clients and server.
Due to this, the IP of the urbackup server and the clients changed.
I don’t want to loose the old backups or start from scratch, as just the IPs changed.
I already changed the server IP back to the legacy IP. Clients (Windows and Linux) are in the new VLANs.
Is there a way that I can re-connect clients and server? Pushing all back to the legacy VLAN is possible, if I can then change the settings and perform the move to new network segments in the correct way.

Until now I use the IP for the server. Can I also use the hostname as destination, e.g. use to urbackup.lan?

My current version: UrBackup 2.4.13

Thanks,
Markus

Hi, I’m not sure I’m understanding this right, but if the server and clients on the same vlans, the backup should work after the IP change, If they are on the different vlans, you should use internet backup mode.
There is a way, to switch between backup modes in a client configuration.
Enable internet mode, Connect to Internet backup server if connected to local backup server, internet only, etc.
Regards,
PAtt

Hi Patt, thanks.
I’m not sure if I have the correct settings.
As Servers are in a different VLAN than the clients, the standard does not work.

I am not sure if I have to activate Internet Mode to use another VLAN. How does it make sensto to connect to internet server, although it is already connected to the local backup server? I assume I got your reply wrong. Could you please clarify?

Do you know how long it takes till urbackup tries to switch to internet mode after the connection to the local server? When I changed the settings, moved client and server to the new vlans, the clients always stated “connected to server x minutes ago”.
Can I force a new connect to test, if they can find each other?

Additionally there should be a setting Multiple Subnets - #6 by uroni.
I just asked a follow up, but maybe you have an idea, too.

Cheers,
Markus

Hi Marcus,
I assumed, your clients can not connect to local server, because of different vlan/ip subnet.
If it is wrong, then my idea is wrong. You have to check the network acces from server to clients, and from clients to server. If your clients behind NAT, then only internet backup will work.

To answer your questions,
You dont have activate internet mode, to use another vlan. But there is some limitations, to use local backups between subnets. Internet backup less problematic.
If server connected to local, it wont connect to internet server, just if you force it to connect, in that case it takes few minutes.
If it can not connect to local server, and internet server is configured, than after local connectin timeout, will try to connect to internet server.
“connected to server x minutes ago”. means for me there is no connection.
On startup, client software will try to connect to server, so if you restart the (urbackupo)client, you can watch the logs.
My opinion is, revert evrything to previous state, enable internet mode, let the client fetch the internet settings, then try to move to new vlan configuration.
Regards,
Patt