Multiple File Backup Jobs on the same client

Would like to request a way to schedule/create multiple backup jobs on the same client end machine. For Example:

*Client with a Windows SBS Exchange server
*Schedule nightly File backups for network shares that run after hours
*Schedule hourly incremental Exchange Windows Component backups

I was able to test recovering full and incremental Microsoft Exchange Writer backup jobs without issue. This is a great feature but it would be nice if the Windows components portion can run on more frequent intervals without affecting regular file backups on the same File backup job. Splitting the jobs out seems to be a logical solution.

Hi

What you need to search for in forums or doc is “virtual client”.

Thank you! I had no idea it was already an option. I really need to read through the rest of the Admin guide :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw. good that you confirm this. If you have screenshots like in MSSQL: How to backup and restore Microsoft SQL Server could you send them to me?

I do actually. One thing I noticed doing the Exchange restore is that you have to deselect all the Windows components and only select the “File” and “Logs” items fore the restoration. I’ve also put together a few notes on the restore process and what needs to be done on the Exchange server itself:

For this example we ran the UrBackup 2.1.18 client on Windows Server 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010 SP3.

NOTE: Circular logging must be enabled for all Exchange servers backed up by UrBackup else it will cause space issues as the transaction logs will not be purged correctly after each backup has ran (incremental or full).

*Verify backups from UrBackup File backup server portal are successful for the date that is needed to recover from
*Log onto Exchange server and open Exchange Management Console (EMC) and dismount the database
*Go to the folder where the Exchange database files and log files are located and delete the transaction log and chk files (leave the .edb and .jrs files and any Catalog folders in place)
*Go to UrBackup client icon in the system tray and select Restore Components. Pick the date/time for the restore then de-select all checkboxes. Under the Database name, select the “File” and “Logs” items and click “Start restore”
*When complete go back to the Exchange Management Console and right click on the database and hit properties. Go to the Maintenance tab and check the box that says “This database can be overwritten by a restore” and hit “Apply” then “OK”. Mount the database

1 Like