MacOS client 2022

Hello @absolution

I appreciate this probably isn’t going to be much help to you, but:
I upgraded from Ventura to Sonoma, and my Urbackup of my Documents folder has continued working exactly as it did before the upgrade.

It might be worth uninstalling the Urbackup Client, removing the Urbackup Client from the Full Disk Access list, then reinstalling it and re-adding it to Full Disk Access again. Fingers crossed this might reset whatever’s gone wonky.

Please keep us posted!

Hi @Moisie

Thank you for looking at this.
Interesting that yours has continued to work…

If I uninstall the client and reinstall it, will I break my backup history chain on the server?

Hi @absolution

I believe it will keep the history intact - but I think someone else will probably be more informed to answer that authoritatively; certainly the client ID will be maintained.

Hi @Moisie

Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I reinstalled the Mac client and the history was maintained.

Unfortunately it did not make a difference to the backup problem. I am still unable to backup items in my Documents folder, with the same error.

I did see that some other were having Document access issues unrelated to urbackup: node.js - Command line tools can't access Documents after upgrading to MacOS Sonoma - Stack Overflow

I don’t think I’ve ever reinstalled the OS on this Mac, and it’s gone through quite a few upgrade cycles now so I may just try that. Given that you were still able to access your Documents after upgrading to the latest os sounds promising.

What extended attributes are associated with your Documents folder?

HI @absolution

Sorry to hear you’re still having problems. You might want to try uninstalling the Urbackup Client, then removing the Urbackup Client entry from the list of Full Disk Access-enabled apps (in System Settings > Privacy & Security > Full Disk Access), give the Mac a reboot for good measure, and then reinstall the client.

You’ll need to re-enable Full Disk Access for the client after reinstalling - I’m hopeful that might fix the issue.

FWIW I never do a clean install on my machine when upgrading the OS - but I sometimes do find an OS installation over the top of the existing setup sometimes helps clear up some gremlins (presumably due to resetting some caches, rather than the OS files actually being replaced).

I get this:

xattr ~/Documents/
EGGJO4LI95G33IDPT01NBL4NY18FW7PR1MKMZ9E
com.apple.FinderInfo
com.apple.macl
x7uXRqYK5cE=F84YYAME1Q3MQ3P496

Printing the contents of each one shows nothing human-readable in them (indeed com.apple.FinderInfo and com.apple.macl display nothing).

If you’re still having problems, what happens if you try to backup - e.g. - your Desktop folder instead of your Documents folder?

I think I did already try the procedure you mentioned, but I can try again.

My desktop folder does backup OK, weirdly, and it seems to have similar permissions to my Documents folder :S

I’ll try another uninstall and report back

Hi Moisie.

I fresh installed Ventura and then used migration wizard to pull all of my stuff back from a Time Machine backup.

So, now I have a new problem. Urbackup fails during indexing.

Error while listing files in folder "/Users/USERNAME/Library/Mobile Documents/.Trash". User may not have permissions to access this folder. Errno is 11

I can confirm that I’ve already granted urbackup full disk access. It was not enabled after reinstalling the OS and using the migration wizard.

Incidentally when using iterm to access the Error while listing files in folder “/Users/USERNAME/Library/Mobile Documents/”, I had a popup appear asking me to give access to iCloud Drive for iterm.
Does full disk access cover iCloud Drive?

EDIT

IT looks like I cannot actually access the .Trash folder from iterm either. I’m currently trying a backup with that directory omitted.

After I’d excluded the .Trash directory from the backup it looks like the backup ran successfully.

That being said, my fresh installed reinstalled Ventura rather than Sonoma so its possible that upgrading to Sonoma will result in the same problem again.

Also, FWIW, reinstalling Ventura and then using the migration wizard broke the backup links and urbackup basically did an entirely fresh backup of my Mac…
This probably isn’t surprising but still figured I should mention this…

2.5 beta client feedback:

The client always goes offline, when backing up this file: HT: Linked file: "/backups/Macbook/231107-2044/Users/username/Desktop/ESZB : EZB.pptx" (id=645). Directly after that:

Client Macbook went offline.

And is back online after that.
the logfile is on the way to me, I post it later.

Is the : an issue for the client?

Hello @absolution

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you on this - thanks for feeding back.

I can’t see that /Users/USERNAME/Library/Mobile Documents/.Trash has any special permissions which would prevent the backup client from reading it (and, indeed, I can view the folder in Terminal on my system) - though I would be wary of relying on backups of the Mobile Documents folder from being readily restorable into place.

Hello @KluthR

Thanks for the feedback on this; I would strongly advise avoiding colons (which display as slashes in the Finder) in filenames - they often don’t survive a networked filesystem environment very well.

I don’t have a definitive answer as to whether the colon is problematic for the client - but there’s a very good chance Urbackup can’t handle them, as it’s an illegal character in Windows filenames, and the Urbackup codebase is quite Windows-centric.

Not happy on Sonoma on an arm64:

When clicking “Add path” in the Add/remove pathes dialog:

2024-03-25 17:23:11.480 urbackupclientgui[99223:6611580] *** Assertion failure in -[NSOpenPanel _initBridgeAndStuff], NSSavePanel.m:432 (255)

Also, backend doesn’t start without -i, just segfaults.

Hi
I just installed MacOS beta client. It seems to have discovered a urbackup server that I do not wish to use for this mac.
Can you send me the MacOS urbackupclientctl so that I can set the following settings:

server-url “urbackup://hsbackup02.hsserver.net”
–name “mac28780” -
-authkey "“IJeoEwvTxp”
INTERNET_ONLY=“true”

I tried some command lines which accepted without errors but when I check the status the changes I am setting are not being applied so I am assuming the syntax I am using is not correct.

Please send me the exact syntax so i can attempt again to set it.

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

hi

also where can I find the server_idents.txt file in the Mac. I tried to search and cannot find it anywhere ?

Hello @Myke
Thanks for the report - I’ve not yet had chance to try this on macOS Sonoma and Apple Silicon, so I don’t currently have anything I can usefully add. For the record, I’m successfully using it on macOS Sonoma on Intel…

Hello @Ron_Sznol

urbackclientctl is installed as part of the client installation, here:

/Applications/UrBackup Client.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/urbackupclientctl

(And don’t forget to escape the space in the application name… :grinning: )

Hello @Ron_Sznol

server_indents.txt is located here:

/Library/Application Support/UrBackup Client/var/urbackup/server_idents.txt

Does the Mac client use Time Machine for the backup ?

No - Urbackup Client runs entirely independently of Time Machine.