MacOS client 2021

Hi @Moisie ,

any chance you can fix this problem?

Thanks!

Hi @Talkabout

Sorry for the delay on this. If youā€™re happy to keep testing a few builds, then Iā€™m happy to try and narrow it down further! It might take a little while, but Iā€™m happy to persist if you areā€¦

Perhaps we should take this into DMs, rather than contaminate this thread further?

I have installed the ā€œMacOS client 2021 - #75 by Moisieā€ (from the link above) and configured /Users as a backupdir. (Using sudo to run the urbackupclientctl command).

Are there other directories that are recommended to backup on the Mac version?

This iMac is running Catalina (10.15.7).

Thanks

I must have done something wrong. The backup has failed with the following logged on the server:

Error while listing files in folder "/Users/admin/Desktop". User may not have permissions to access this folder. Errno is 1

Is there an installation guide that Iā€™ve missed?

Thanks,

Hello @fswasey

Thanks for giving this a try - please feed back with your experiences on the macOS client!

The /Users directory is likely the most important for any individual; however, you might consider backing up the entire system drive in order to catch your applications and their supporting data too.

Even though you wonā€™t be able to fully restore a working system drive from such a backup, it can be a useful reference for - e.g. - reverting to a previous version of an application, should an update break functionality.

Hello @fswasey

This isnā€™t currently noted anywhere, but you likely need to grant the Urbackup application Full Disk Access:

Go into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy, and select Full Disk Access in the column on the left-hand side. Then drag the Urbackup application into the table on the right-hand side, and ensure itā€™s ticked. You might need to unlock the padlock at the bottom of the screen for this.

If that doesnā€™t help, please let us know!

AHA! Yes, that was exactly it. I found that the UrBackup Client.app was in the list (but not checked). After checking it and rebooting the iMac, a full backup is running and moving data (it failed in just building the list before).

Thanks!
~ Frank

I am again getting errors that indicate the UrBackup client does not really have full disk access. However; I have told it to protect /Applications and two accounts in /Users, but it is getting upset about ā€œError while listing files in folder ā€œ/System/Volumes/Data/private/var/db/ConfigurationProfilesā€. User may not have permissions to access this folder. Errno is 0ā€

I have confirmed that UrBackupClient still has Full Disk Access.

I am confused about why UrBackupClient is down that path to begin with. I canā€™t see any reason for it in the other messages that came out (about symlinks going off to places and needing to be verified).

What information can I provide to help with this?

~ Frank

Hi Frank:

Thanks for the feedback. The error youā€™re seeing is different from the ā€˜Full Disk Accessā€™ Privacy permission, and is an area Iā€™m working on at the moment - better removal of unreadable (or unbackupable, or unrestorable) system files - so in due course, this error will be handled better.

As to why the client is going down this path: I suspect you may have an alias to Macintosh HD somewhere inside /Applications or your two user accounts, which will lead the client here. The client will then be looking inside the folder to see what files it has, and whether they should be included in the backup - at which point the OS doesnā€™t give it permission.

Assuming you canā€™t easily find the alias to Macintosh HD in those places, you might want to try adding /System to the list of excluded folders, in the hope that the client will be prevented from delving too deep inside there; TBH I donā€™t know if this will work or not - but itā€™s easy to try!

HTH.

First off, THANKS!

What I wound up doing was adding */private/var/* to the ā€œExclude from backupā€ list. I found that it wandered down the /private tree after I had excluded the /System/Volumes/Data/private/var/* tree.

Iā€™m more than happy to be a test subject when you are ready.

~ Frank

(edited because asterisk-string-asterisk becomes italicized)

1 Like

Thanks Frank - glad you got it working!

Happy to see MacOS client back in the works, it was my #1 reason for not considering UrBackup before. Now that it is supporting Linux/Mac/Windows it is much better.

It does however seem to take a long time to index files. (approx 40Gb backup directory on a 1.5TB drive) Maybe in the future, there could be a way to process changed files only, This might be different depending on the FS being used.

Either way +1 for bringing it back.

Iā€™ve been having an issue with the client I believe since upgrading to Monterey. It seems like it is trying to create a snapshot as part of the backup. Iā€™ve removed and reinstalled the client multiple times and get errors like this
0-1638293647-Backing up ā€œEricā€ without snapshot.
0-1638293647-Indexing of ā€œEricā€ done. 449 filesystem lookups 0 db lookups and 0 db updates
0-1638293647-Eric_MBP: Loading file listā€¦
0-1638293647-Eric_MBP: Calculating file tree differencesā€¦
0-1638293648-Eric_MBP: Calculating tree difference sizeā€¦
0-1638293648-Eric_MBP: Linking unchanged and loading new filesā€¦
0-1638293648-Waiting for file transfersā€¦
0-1638293648-Referencing snapshot on ā€œEric_MBPā€ for path ā€œEricā€ failed: FAILED
0-1638293648-Waiting for file hashing and copying threadsā€¦
0-1638293649-Writing new file listā€¦
0-1638293649-All metadata was present
0-1638293650-Transferred 1.00879 KB - Average speed: 10.872 KBit/s
0-1638293655-Time taken for backing up client Eric_MBP: 50s
0-1638293655-Backup succeeded

The initial backup seems to run OK until it fails trying to access /Users//Library/VoiceTrigger. I have this in my exclusion list but this initial backup occurs before having the ability to add the exclusions via the web console. After this failure I get the messages like above.

Thoughts? Suggestions? More information needed?

Thanks

Eric Sten

Iā€™m making some progress here. I cleared out my existing client exclusion list that I had built up over time and left it blank. I still got the VoiceTrigger folder warning. I ended up having to add /Users/*/Library/VoiceTrigger to the specific client exclusion list and that allowed the indexing to go through and the backup to run. So Iā€™m guessing the macos_exclusions.txt in the /Library/Application Support/UrBackup Client/var/urbackup folder is not being used. I am running version 2.4.12.

Now I have to add all my specific exclusions back in. At least I saved them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Eric:

Sorry for not replying sooner on this - I could have saved you some workā€¦ :grimacing:

Hereā€™s an unsigned build of the current macOS client codebase:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OSgx3ntrtK0tGHjXENVjU8lhHF_3vSb4/view?usp=sharing

This refactors the macOS exclusions so theyā€™re all hard-coded into the client, rather than relying on the OSā€™s now-not-included-and-anyway-itā€™s-out-of-date Time Machine exclusion list. /Users/:/Library/VoiceTrigger/SAT is one of the included exclusions. Hard-coded exclusions can be overridden if required - see /Library/Application Support/UrBackup Client/var/urbackup/macOS_exclusion_overrides.txt

As the build is unsigned, you might need to right-click and Open the client application after installing it. Youā€™ll also probably need to remove and re-add the client application to the Full Disk Access permission list in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy.

Please let us know how you get on with this newer build. I havenā€™t yet updated the exclusions for Monterey - but I suspect theyā€™re not too different from Big Sur.

Hey guys, since I updated to Monterey 12.0.1 I cant add backup paths. Iā€™ll get the message in the attachement. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

HI @lucabrasi

Iā€™ve seen that issue too, but under (IIRC) Mojave 10.14.6. I havenā€™t yet investigated deeper because (IIRC) you can just OK the dialogue, and then press Command-C to go to the top level of your system and drill down into it as normal.

Hope that helps.

Hi Moisie,
thanks for replying so quickly. I tried to ignore the message and just add a location. Thing is it will not be saved. When I bring up the menu for the locations later it will be empty and Urbackup Admin Interface on the server states that there are no backup path defined. Is there any other way to configure the paths? I was hoping for a config fileā€¦

Hi @lucabrasi

Thanks for the feedback. Iā€™ve just tried it on my macOS 12.0.1 system, and itā€™s working for me as I describe.

I havenā€™t currently attached it to a Urbackup server - so I wonder if youā€™ve got yours set to pick up the path from the server rather than use the locally-defined path? Whatā€™s your icon at the bottom-right of the Add/Remove backup paths window?

Hm, honestly I was not aware of the posibility to set a mode of path definition at this place. It shows up with the two little pages in the icon on my system. Is there any documentation for those diffentet icons? I canā€™t find any. I did a fresh install of urbackup and tried the different modes to no avail. And I tried to define one path as a default backup path and still donā€™t get anything.