Mac Root Backup Error under macOS 10.13

Hello:

I’m testing Mac client 2.2.3 beta on macOS 10.13.3; I’ve added the root folder as a backup path - but when I run a full backup, I get the following error:

2018-02-15 12:39:17: ClientService cmd: #I5HeUKIPJnHiduELEeNZv#2LOGDATA 1518698356 0-1518696535-Starting unscheduled full file backup...
0-1518698350-Backing up "root" without snapshot.
2-1518698350-Error while getting files in folder "/private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles". User may not have permissions to access this folder. Errno is 1
2-1518698350-Constructing of filelist of "ComputerName.local" failed: error - index error
2-1518698356-Backup had an early error. Deleting partial backup.

Browsing to the location in the Finder shows no issues:

And a macOS 10.12 installation running the same client has no such problem:

Maybe in the user context, maybe it doesn t have these permissions , or the folder wont exists?
ie , maybe the user uranckup run as miss theses permissions, or the folder is automounted in this folder when you open your session. and thus it wn t exists in the urbackup user sessions?

Hello Orogor:

Thanks for your thoughts.

I didn’t logout or kill any processes between encountering the error in the log, and the urbackupclientbackend process is running as root user - so I don’t see that it should have any permissions problems accessing this folder, and I don’t see why the folder wouldn’t have existed one moment and then existed the next.

I’ve tried the backup a number of times - and it fails on this folder each time - but only on macOS 10.13.

Even if the folder is somewhat ephemeral, is it right that this stops the backup of the rest of the filesystem?

Thanks,

Pants.

look at directory flag

Maybe you can switch to the root user on a console and investigate why root cannot list files in this directory… Root should have access to everything but maybe there is some capability or something missing or the directory is something special.

Hello:

Thanks for your feedback.

I’m not seeing any problem here:

ComputerName:~ root# cd /private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/
ComputerName:ConfigurationProfiles root# ls
.cloudConfigNoActivationRecord
.noActivationRecord
Settings
Setup
Store
com.apple.ManagedClient.enrollagent.plist

Is there a verbose logging feature I can enable on the client to help troubleshoot this?

There actually should already be more info in the client log file (it’s at the default macos log location). I have looked at the code and enabling debug log mode probably does not give more info.

The next debug level would be attaching dtruss. This shows all the system calls and their results.

Hello:

There’s a little more information in the log file:

2018-02-15 22:47:10: ERROR: Cannot stat "/private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Store": Operation not permitted (1)
2018-02-15 22:47:10: ERROR: Error listing files in directory "/private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles": Operation not permitted (1)
2018-02-15 22:47:10: ERROR: Error while getting files in folder "/private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles". User may not have permissions to access this folder. Errno is 1
2018-02-15 22:47:10: Script "/Applications/UrBackup Client.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/urbackup/postfileindex" does not exist
2018-02-15 22:47:10: Async index 289e41464991cb82cd941e13ad5ac161 finished with "error - index error"

And probing the folder further as root:

ComputerName:~ root# cd /private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/
ComputerName:ConfigurationProfiles root# ls
.cloudConfigNoActivationRecord
.noActivationRecord
Settings
Setup
Store
com.apple.ManagedClient.enrollagent.plist
ComputerName:ConfigurationProfiles root# cd Store 
-sh: cd: Store: Not a directory
ComputerName:ConfigurationProfiles root# ls -lah
ls: Store: Operation not permitted
total 0
drwxr-xr-x    8 root  wheel   256B 25 Jan 07:51 .
drwxr-xr-x  108 root  wheel   3.4K 14 Feb 12:57 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel     0B 13 Dec  2015 .cloudConfigNoActivationRecord
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel     0B 17 Dec  2014 .noActivationRecord
drwxr-xr-x@   4 root  wheel   128B 25 Jan 07:51 Settings
drwx------    3 root  wheel    96B 15 Feb 22:17 Setup
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel   490B  9 Sep  2014 com.apple.ManagedClient.enrollagent.plist

So it looks like there might be an issue on this system - I’ll see what I can find out elsewhere, and see if I can reproduce the issue on another machine.

Thanks for your guidance!