Linux client sends wrong name to server

Hello all,
I’m facing a strange problem with one of my linux clients.
On startup the client sends back wrong name. Actually it sends back names of other valid Windows clients I have, which causes a total mess(Linux backups go to Windows clients)

What is the process to get/send back client name on a Linux client (Debian 9.8)?

The client log file shows:
$$$$$$
2019-05-30 09:05:14: Started UrBackupClient Backend…
2019-05-30 09:05:14: FileSrv: Binding UDP socket at port 35622…
2019-05-30 09:05:14: FileSrv: done.
2019-05-30 09:05:14: FileSrv: Servername: -windows-hostname-here-
2019-05-30 09:05:14: FileSrv: Server started up successfully
2019-05-30 09:05:14: FileSrv: UDP Thread startet
2019-05-30 09:05:15: Final path: /
2019-05-30 09:05:15: Final path: /var
2019-05-30 09:05:15: Final path: /home
2019-05-30 09:05:15: Final path: /boot
$$$$$$$

It uses the name from the settings (that’s probably the problem) and if that isn’t configured it uses the hostname…
So the problem would be the server sending the wrong settings to a new client?

This linux client uses the default configuration. (Separate settings for this client - is NOT ticked)
I don’t think the server is pushing wrong client name but I may be wrong.

Do IPs play a role in clients/client cofig?

I’m asking because this linux client is also a router(and VPN server) and does SNAT/DNAT for some VPN clients, which are also UrBackup clients.

So once a Windows urbackup client is connected via VPN it does Internet based backup but the IP showed for client is not correct - the IP shown in UrBackup GUI is the one of the Linux client

Not sure if I was clear enough :slight_smile:
Let me know if more info is needed and what troubleshooting direction to go to next …

Thank you!

After manually changing the linux client name in the cfg file, today I see it shows a wrong name again.

As I said, the Windows client was connected over VPN and UrBackup server thinks that its IP is 192.168.100.201 - this is the actual/real IP of the Linux client.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Hello
I have the same problem. The server does not find the linux client (Ubuntu 20.04 arm64).
When i open all the ports on the firewall, the client detects the server, but the server never sees the client.
Server is on Windows, the client is a completely separate physical server on the same home subnet.
I dont know how you manage the log, but my log does not contain servername, it contains only errors. (cannot do shadow copy, cannot open files). No network errors whatsoever.
When i manually start backup from the client, i do not see this client on the server. But at the same time, i see on the server web console a backup started for my Windows workstation. In fact, this backup is NOT from Windows, it is from Linux, but the server puts this backup on Windows account.
Later i can go and find my linux files in this Windows backup.
This urbackup system does not work with Linux clients.
More: when it somehow manually partially does, it does not create a new client, it puts everything into 1 existing client (list of backups).
Hostnames and ip addresses are of course different, there is no NAT. And my Linux client is still listed as Online=no, still in the process of discovery, it is not in the list of normal clients.
Looks like this software is not for Linux.

Hi, I had the same problem and fixed it by setting the Computer Name setting on the client. Once the name was set, it backed up to the correct client.

urbackupclientctl set-settings -k computername -v “CLIENT_NAME”