Is UR BACKUP FOR ME? can someone tell me

Hi
Maybe I’m a noob but there seems top be no discription of what ‘file backup’ or’ image backup’ are. So googling i think its how the backups are stored.

Secondly It seems to just back up your whole compueter…Does it? the instructions assume so much…and as it turns out backup for me would be simpler if i could just backup what i want.

If my whole operating system gets corrupted i’ll just rebuild it. thats a rare occurance in about 30 years of using PC’s.

And theres always a bunch of files i dont really care about losing so Id rather just backup a bunch of folders I deem irreplacable.

I have it installed both server and client and it seems to be backing up to image (Something i dont think i want)

SO IS UR BACKUP FOR ME?

1. I want to backup only nominated folders/files on a few windows PC’s in my local home network to my unraid server.

2. If i find file(s) corupted or lost id like to be able to find those files on the backup somehow and restore them to firstly the clientr PC’s but secondly to any storage device I point them at.

Is this possible with UR backup.? If so can someone please point me to the part of documentation that talks about this.
If not, does anyone know a more appropriate option that can be installed on undaid docker

Cheers

In your case (similar to mine) you can disable image backups completely.

On the server, browse to Settings > Server and enable Do not do image backups.
This feature will disappear form the client too.

From this point you can use File Backup at your preference: you can either configure a default set of folders from the server, or let the client/user choose what folders should be backed up.
Don’t forget the exclusion file list in case you’ll be backing up messy folders like Appdata.

UrBackup does what you’re asking, and can restore any file or any folder from any backup it stores. Instead of restoring you can also download such file/folder.

If you configure file backups to be run frequently, you could use it as a replacement of “File History” (the integrated buggy Windows tool).

Regarding the documentation: I think is quite comprehensive but is very academic. What I mean is that it lacks true examples, walkthroughs or hands on scenarios.
So I recommend is to set up a test environment where you backup a single folder of your computer and play around with the settings until you are settled.

2 Likes

Which file formats do you recommend to exclide for exactly this kind of backup with many windows folders like appdata and such`?

I don’t know these files, but jsut realized, that the backup speed is incredibly slow because of those files.