Internet only, host lookup failed

Hello, everyone!

I hope someone can help me or explain what I am doing wrong. :slight_smile:
Setup:
Internet-only, as a network setup does not allow broadcasts and following client detection.
Server: amd64 debian, 2.5.32.0-1, zfs backend
Client: aarch64 debian, 2.5.25 (downloaded from the server when creating client)

In total have about 10 clients mixed win and linux, but this is only one with arm architecture.
Client fails to connect server. When I enable debug logging I can see:

2023-11-08 12:46:35: Trying to connect to internet server urbackup://<cut>:55415
2023-11-08 12:46:35: No result when looking up hostname "<cut>". Err: 22
2023-11-08 12:46:35: Connecting failed.

but i can dig servers FQDN and do get the correct IP (have systemd-resovled set up). Can even telnet to servers fqdn 55415 port, and do get some “jibberish” back :wink: So there is nothing wrong with DNS (it is publically resolvable anyways).

One more difference for this client is that it is the only one with no snapshot tech configured, during setup, I chose 5th option - no snapshots. But I suppose this has nothing to do with connection to the server or the server’s fqdn lookup.

Any way to troubleshoot further or how to get rid of this issue?

Thanks & cheers!

Sounds like a bug in the ARM version of the client (Error 22 usually means EINVAL “invalid argument”).

Can you use IP address instead of FQDN?

Thanks for your answer @MrBates :slight_smile:

I can’t change settings for the whole setup, can only for this one.
But I don’t know exactly how to override server-sent settings, I can set server IP manually in
/usr/local/var/urbackup/data/settings.cfg
but as long as it first time connects to the server it does get settings from the server and there is FQDN.

Is there any way to override the server address for one client?

I don’t think you can override the server address for just one client, but I have an idea. Could you maybe configure a “hosts” file and punch in FQDN » IP Address? That way, you don’t have to even change the pre-configured client and it would always work as long as that setting was obeyed. Just a thought. It looked like the error log was saying it couldn’t resolve the host.

Yes, I have tried with the hosts file entry unfortunately it doesn’t change anything, same error. :man_shrugging:

I can confirm that there is some bug in the ARM version binary package as MrBates already said.
I have compiled the client from the source and everything seems working flawlessly.
Need to wait till the backup completes, but at least the connection is successful.

1 Like