Interaction Between Excluded Files and Default Directories (for sub clients)

Hello

I’m running server 2.2.6 beta, and am trying to set up multiple sub clients to back up different volumes on my client (running Mac client 2.2.3 beta).

(I’m running my client in a VM, so my paths below look a little abnormal.)

• My ‘base’ client has an excluded files list which includes /Volumes/*
  • My first sub client (Tests-Mac.local[Test11]) has the same excluded files list, but has /Volumes/SharedFolders/Mac OS X Install DVD as the default directory to back up;
  • My second sub client (Tests-Mac.local[Test12]) has the same excluded files list, but has /Volumes/SharedFolders/AC HD as the default directory to back up.

My ‘base’ client is backing up fine.
My first sub client is failing with the following logs:

2018-02-13 11:34:14(info): Starting unscheduled full file backup...
2018-02-13 11:34:15(info): Backing up "Mac OS X Install DVD" without snapshot.
2018-02-13 11:34:15(info): Indexing of "Mac OS X Install DVD" done. 1 filesystem lookups 0 db lookups and 0 db updates
2018-02-13 11:34:15(info): Tests-Mac.local[Test 11]: Loading file list...
2018-02-13 11:34:15(info): Tests-Mac.local[Test 11]: Started loading files...
2018-02-13 11:34:15(info): Waiting for file transfers...
2018-02-13 11:34:15(info): Referencing snapshot on "Tests-Mac.local[Test 11]" for path "Mac OS X Install DVD/clientsubname=Test%2011" failed: FAILED
2018-02-13 11:34:16(info): Waiting for file hashing and copying threads...
2018-02-13 11:35:16(info): Writing new file list...
2018-02-13 11:35:16(info): All metadata was present
2018-02-13 11:35:16(info): Transferred 30.9287 KB - Average speed: 414 KBit/s
2018-02-13 11:35:24(info): Time taken for backing up client Tests-Mac.local[Test 11]: 1m 10s
2018-02-13 11:35:24(info): Backup succeeded

And my second sub client is failing with the following logs:

2018-02-13 11:36:30(info): Starting unscheduled full file backup...
2018-02-13 11:36:30(error): Constructing of filelist of "Tests-Mac.local[Test 12]" failed: no backup dirs. Please add paths to backup on the client (via tray icon) or configure default paths to backup.
2018-02-13 11:36:40(error): Backup had an early error. Deleting partial backup.

Am I aiming in the right direction, or is this something which I’ve fundamentally got configured wrongly?

Thanks,

Pants.

first subclient is
referencing snapshot on "Tests-Mac.local[Test 11]" for path "Mac OS X Install DVD/clientsubname=Test%2011" failed: FAILED
just the snapshot failled, however at the end it says:
Backup succeeded
So you should be able to browser the backup and status should be sucessfull on the status page

second suclient is :
failed: no backup dirs
So you should be able to ad a dir to backup for that subclient and it should solve the issue
The odd thing is that you did it for the first sublient and forgot for the second one ?

If i am all wrong, maybe post a few screenshots

Hi Orogor:

Thanks for your feedback.

I got the second sub client ‘working’ by deleting it and re-adding it; it now doesn’t report ‘no backup dirs’ - but it’s failing in the same way as the first sub client.

So that’s some progress! :wink:

So here are some screenshots of sub client 1, showing the disparity between what I’m expecting and what I’m getting:

Client Settings:

Backup Result:

Source Folder:

Any thoughts?

Hi

I think you excluded /Volumes/* and told it to backup Volumes/something

Yes - that’s right - hence this question: how does the excluded files list interact with the default directories list?

An explanation for why I was wanting to set it up like this:
macOS puts a mount point for all non-system volumes in /Volumes. I don’t want to back up all and every volume which gets mounted (hence /Volumes/* in the exclusion list) - but I do want to back up specific non-system volumes (hence adding the in the default directory list).

I guess the function for checking whether a file gets backed up or not is just checking if it’s contained by an entry in the exclusion list - but I’d suggest it should be more like:

• If a file is contained by an exclusion item AND the exclusion item is contained by the default directory, then DON’T back it up;
  • If a file is contained by an exclusion item AND the exclusion item is NOT contained by the default directory, then DO back it up.

Hi

I dont undertsand your problem.
You can use included files, excluded file and a backup path.
There s very few things wich can t be done like this.

backup path : /volume:
exclusion : /volume/system1/* , /volume/system2/* , etc

Or of you now in davances the name the mount point u ll need will have use

backup path : /volume
backuponly : /volume/myubkey/* , /volume/mycdrom/* , etc

Hi Orogor:

I was just part-way through typing a long explanation, when I realised I was being a dolt - sorry!
Of course, I just don’t use /Volumes/* in my exclusion list for this sub client, because it won’t attempt to backup anything outside of the default directories anyway. D’oh!

Sorry for wasting everyone’s time…