Intel I210 and I211 driver update

I know this isn’t a new topic, but it’s a pretty important one.
I work for a non-profit company and we’ve gone with urbackup as it is perfect for our needs, not because it’s free, but because it’s simple and straightforward.

I’m trying to do a proof of concept for my supervisor and i have two workstations, one with the Intel I210AT ethernet contoller and another with an intel I211. it seems that neither of these are supported.

It seems that the drivers are available for download so that they can be compiled and incorporated into the version of debian that makes up the restore CD. is there any way you can do that? or am i just not doing something correct? I’ve attempted this with a usb-based ethernet adapter, different speed usb ports, different builds of the restore CD. the only one that seems to work is one of the two ports on one of the test systems is a realtek… it works with that, but it goes dead with the intels.

Thanks for devoting yourselves in making such great software!

In general the source code of the restore cd is at GitHub - uroni/urbackup_restore_cd: Builds the UrBackup Restore ISO which allows full system image restores . Releases · uroni/urbackup_restore_cd · GitHub has newer (beta) versions with a <1 year old Linux kernel which should support more recent hardware. Your devices might also be older, so perhaps it works better with older restore cds? Index of /Restore

If possible take a look at the output of dmesg when it doesn’t work. The driver might just be missing a firmware file, which would be relatively easily fixable.

Specifically I210AT, I211 should be supported by Linux Kernel Driver DataBase: CONFIG_IGB: Intel(R) 82575/82576 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet support but, yeah, it might just not work in your specific configuration or need fiddling. If possible have a USB ethernet adapter ready (that is known to work reliably – we recently had a thread about that). E.g. Intel and Realtek employees do work to get their drivers upstream (in the official Linux kernel). But sometimes they then forget to update it, or don’t keep up with changes and it rots etc.