Insufficient quota to complete the requested service. (appears to be a memory leak)

Hey All,

Server: UrBackup 2.4.13 (on ubuntu linux, 18.04.5 LTS)
Client: UrBackup 2.4.11 (on windows 10 clients, 21H1)

I’ve been running urbackup for a while now, and recently a user called me to debug the computer having no more available RAM.

After some debugging, I found the machine’s image backup was not completing, it was failing with this error:

Error on client occurred: Error while reading from shadow copy device (1). Insufficient quota to complete the requested service.

When I restart the machine, as soon as the image backup starts, I can watch the system’s memory usage climb to 100% within about 60 seconds. If I kill (using task manager) UrBackupClientBackend.exe, then the memory usage immediately stops climbing. The used memory is never released until a reboot.

When I look at UrBackupClientBackend.exe in task manager, it does not appear to use that much RAM, only about 11 Megs. It appears the memory is leaking somehow.

I’m getting this error on several clients, any suggestions?

Thanks

How much RAM do those client systems have?

Are there any errors in the EventLogs on those systems?

Besides an upgrade to the newest version of Windows (which I’m also running without issue), is there anything else that has changed on the client machines that are having issues?

-ASB

Hey All,

This is some kind of issue with Windows Defender. I had to add exceptions for

C:\Program Files\UrBackup\UrBackupClientBackend.exe
C:\Program Files\UrBackup\UrBackupClient.exe
C:\Program Files\UrBackup\UrBackupClient_cmd.exe

into two locations in windows defender, and the issue appears to be resolved:

In group policy:

computer config-> policies-> admin templates-> windows components-> Microsoft Defender Antivirus-> Microsoft Defender Exploit Guard-> Controlled Folder Access-> Configure allowed applications

and

computer config-> policies-> admin templates-> windows components-> Microsoft Defender Antivirus-> Exclusions-> Process Exclusions

Hopefully this will resolve the issue, I will report back otherwise.

Would have been my guess as well. But the issue being with Windows Defender (and not some other on-access scanner) makes this problematic…

One tool that helped in the past was Sysinternals RAMMap.

1 Like

You might also want to exclude scanning in the UrBackup temporary directory and the Client data at:

• C:\Windows\Temp\urbackup_client_tmp
  • C:\Program Files\UrBackup\urbackup