Installation on Debian buster system

Hi all,
I have run into a couple of problems on installation of urbackup. I followed the 6 steps on the document “Install client on Debian or Ubuntu from sources”

First: I unpacked the tar file an went through the installation instructions without a problem. But when I ran the “urbackupclientbackend -v info” I got:

2019-03-24 16:26:34: ERROR: urbackupserver: Failed binding socket to port 35623. Another instance of this application may already be active and bound to this port.
2019-03-24 16:26:34: ERROR: Binding tcp socket to port 35621 failed. Another instance of this application may already be active and bound to this port.
2019-03-24 16:26:34: ERROR: FileServ exit with error code: 99<

Second: The insructions called for an /etc/rc.local file that doesn’t exist on Debian systems. I created a new file with requested addition but am not sure whether the “before the exit 0” refers to a pre-existing entry or is part of the added line. I assumed that I refered to a preexisting entry and add it as a second line. When I ran the urbackupclientgui I got the following error:

(urbackupclientgui:26119): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:12:57.347: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”,

(urbackupclientgui:26119): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:12:57.352: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”,

I have the adwaita-qt package installed

I’m a bit stuck at this point. Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

gary

Amemdment:
Scratch the Failed binding socket error. There was 2 clients running. Also the Gtk warning was eliminated by adding -style Adwaita to the urbackupclientgui command line.

Although the urbackupclientgui no longer gives warnings, there is still no gui showing up. The server seems to be finding the client. I’m using a KDE desktop if that makes any difference.

gary

Tray icon comes mostly down to if your tray is compatible with wxWidgets. One option (that is probably also not going to work) is to compile the tray GUI with wxQt (new and experimental in wxWidgets 3.1). It’s annoying that there is no (working) standard for tray icons on Linux :frowning:

Thanks uroni but the icon is in the tray but doesn’t do anything. Click and nothing happens. Also my systems monitor shows that urbackupclientgui is running but there is not screen display. What next?

gary