Image backup failed error when no drives selected for backup

Hi all,
I’m using Server 2.2.1 beta and various recent client versions.
I normally only allow file backup but for certain clients I have to use images too. So almost all clients have no drives selected for image backup.
I recently turned on image backups after upgrading to the latest server beta. (The previous version kept crashing when image backup was enabled)

Today I started receiving emails like this one;

UrBackup just did a full image backup of “MikeMaddocks”.

Report:
( 3 infos, 1 warning, 3 errors)

2017-06-01 15:00:33(info): Starting scheduled full image backup of volume “-:”…
2017-06-01 15:00:33(info): Basing image backup on last incremental or full image backup
2017-06-01 15:00:33(warning): Error retrieving last image backup. Doing full image backup instead.
2017-06-01 15:00:33(error): Could not read MBR. Error message: CreateFile of volume ‘-:’ failed. - sendMBR. Errorcode: 2
2017-06-01 15:00:33(error): Cannot retrieve master boot record (MBR) for the disk from the client.
2017-06-01 15:00:33(info): Time taken for backing up client MikeMaddocks: 256ms
2017-06-01 15:00:33(error): Backup failed

All clients with this error have no drives selected for image backup and are using the 2.1.19-cbt client.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

I guess I am the only person experiencing this…

Hi Hippy,
Had the same issue actually:

• initially only had specified “c” as drive to backup, then deleted it, so the field “drives to backup” was empty.
    And no image backup occurred…

After reading your post I looked at my config again - did not see anything strange - and clicked on the “?” to get the online help.
And there found the solution that worked for me:

• How to specify the volumes to backup?
    UrBackup backs up all the volumes you specify in the “Volumes to backup” field. You should specify volume letters (C,D,E,…) separated by “;” or “,” there. With UrBackup Client and Server 1.4 you can also sepcify “ALL” to backup all volumes or “ALL_NONUSB” to backup all volumes except volumes connected via USB.

I’ve chosen “ALL_NONUSB” and it’s running fine again…

Hope that helps,
Matpat

Thanks for the reply.
My situation is a little different as I actually don’t want to backup any drives for most clients.
So the drive list field is intentionally left blank.

I’m sure it will be fixed in a future release. Only issue is people look at the client logs, see all the ‘failed’ messages and panic.

I am still getting lots of error reports for failed image backups when they’re not supposed to be running.
The Server supports image backup for certain clients but most have no drive letters in the image backup field.
This is the result for all those clients, every day…

UrBackup just did a full image backup of “BPMDougOld”.

Report:
( 3 infos, 1 warning, 3 errors)

2017-08-11 09:32:37(info): Starting scheduled full image backup of volume “-:”…
2017-08-11 09:32:37(info): Basing image backup on last incremental or full image backup
2017-08-11 09:32:37(warning): Error retrieving last image backup. Doing full image backup instead.
2017-08-11 09:32:37(error): Could not read MBR. Error message: CreateFile of volume ‘-:’ failed. - sendMBR. Errorcode: 2
2017-08-11 09:32:37(error): Cannot retrieve master boot record (MBR) for the disk from the client.
2017-08-11 09:32:37(info): Time taken for backing up client BPMDougOld: 261ms
2017-08-11 09:32:37(error): Backup failed

Can the server behaviour be changed to not attempt to image backup clients with no drive letters specified?
Thanks

Hello

That seems fair/safe default settings, why not unchecking images backup in the default group?
If most of your client s dont need images backup; why not uncheck it in the default setting and put the ones that need it into a special group?

Thanks for the reply.
You have a valid point. That’s what I’ll do. I started using urbackup before group functions were added and haven’t really looked at them.

Consider this solved!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.