How to install on Centos7 and run client

Hey there,

I have a urbackup windows server and I’m trying to install a client to a centos 7 machine and back it up.

Ran this command, TF= mktemp && wget "https://hndl.urbackup.org/Client/2.1.16/UrBackup%20Client%20Linux%202.1.16.sh" -O $TF && sh $TF; rm $TF

but on the server it shows as ‘offline’. Can someone please help as to how I can have the server appear as online and back it up?

if you want to backup linux System, you can use script,ex:tar,cpio . because urbackup just support file backup for linux.
you can restart the service of urbackup server and restart the service of client on centos7, then check the firewall of server and clients

Thanks. Do you have a guide?

Josh - I think it might be offline because of several reason - this is assuming server and client are on the same local LAN:

• firewall filtering is blocking the inbound discovery from server on the Centos system
  • server is not feeding the client the authkey necessary to allow communications between the 2 systems

Can you try running a urbackupclientctl command on the Centos machine to tell it where the server is, what port to communicate on and what the authkey is?

I’ve got 6 Centos 7 servers and about 40 centos or ubuntu clients (physical and virtual) talking to those servers with no real hiccups, other than firewalls getting in the way on local LAN sometimes.

If the client and server are not on the same local LAN, then generate the host in the server web console and copy/paste the code that is generated after clicking through setup. it would be something similiar to:

TF=mktemp && wget “http://SERVER_NAME.fully.qualified.domain.name:PORT(usually 55414)/x?a=download_client&lang=en&clientid=2&authkey=SECRET_CODE&os=linux” -O $TF && sh $TF; rm $TF

It is most likey firewall on CentOS. On my CentOS 7 client machine I have these ports open for Urbackup

-A IN_public_allow -p tcp -m tcp --dport 35621 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT
-A IN_public_allow -p udp -m udp --dport 35622 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT
-A IN_public_allow -p tcp -m tcp --dport 35623 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT

HTH

1 Like

TY, it works for me too.

My correction is that rules shoud be added higher than glodal deny rule. My iptables config is:

➜  ~ iptables -L -n -v --line-numbers
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
num   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
1     3411  206K ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:10050
2     849K   72M bx_trusted  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
3     849K   72M bx_public  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
4     848K   72M ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
5        0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW tcp dpt:22
6        0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
7      176 10560 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
8      605 81576 REJECT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

So i had to add 3 rules higher than my rule 8, thus the commands are:

sudo iptables -I INPUT 8 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 35621 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT -s MY_UBRACKUP_SERVER_IP

sudo iptables -I INPUT 9 -p udp -m udp --dport 35622 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT -s MY_UBRACKUP_SERVER_IP

sudo iptables -I INPUT 10 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 35623 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT -s MY_UBRACKUP_SERVER_IP

I wish this info added to manual. TY.