How to add clients?

Apparently the procedure for adding clients has changed since the last time I did it, I’m lost now.

I’ve installed the client software on the machine to be backed up, the client shows up in the “Client discovery hints” area on the server, and the only button next to it is a “Remove” button.

I have no idea what to do from there and the documentation says nothing at all about it.

Any help is appreciated.

Did it appear there on it’s own or did you add it? Is your server/client behind a firewall?

Got similiar issue. Users without “all” domain in “rights” can’t access “Add new client” button.
I’ve just added an user with explicitly provided all domains on rights page except “browse_backups” and the user can’t add new client. My version: 2.0.38.

These are all on the same subnet, no firewall between them, that isn’t the issue.They’re showing up in the “Client discovery hints” on their own, minutes after I install the client software on the server to be backed up.

I just can’t seem to do anything with it after that, or rather, I don’t know what to do with it after that.

I click on the “Add new client” button, I click the radio button next to “IP/hostname of client to be discovered”, add the IP address and click “add client”. It kicks me back to the backup status window but nothing has changed, the client doesn’t show up in the list with all the other clients, it still shows up in “Client discovery hints”. So I’m assuming that I’m doing something wrong here.

I have only had this work once for me.

My favored plan is for you to collect your server_idents.txt file and place it on your client - if they are available to you. Otherwise, remove the server_idents.txt file from the client and restart the service. If you only have one UrBackup server, then it will auto-associate.

Make sure that you still have room to add clients. Sometimes this can backfire if you set your max active clients in your server settings too low.

OK, my problem is solved.
The documentation section “4.1 Server webinterface rights management” is missing one domain: “add_client”.
I added this domain and now user is able to add new client.

[quote=“ttrammell, post:5, topic:2926, full:true”]My favored plan is for you to collect your server_idents.txt file and place it on your client - if they are available to you. Otherwise, remove the server_idents.txt file from the client and restart the service. If you only have one UrBackup server, then it will auto-associate.

Make sure that you still have room to add clients. Sometimes this can backfire if you set your max active clients in your server settings too low.
[/quote]

Tried this, still no change.

I’m set up with Domain: All, Rights:All, Translation: All rights.

At this point, I think there is something wrong with the server. I’m going to have to try reinstalling the server software.