High load on docker environment

Hi all,

I am facing a performance issue on my environment. I am using the official docker image on a Synology NAS. On file based backups, which take 1-5 minutes, everything is fine. But as soon as an incremental image backup on Windows 10 machines is started. the load on the Synology NAS increases and reaches values of 20-30. When this happens the NAS is completely unresponsive and unusable. I already limited the docker container resources and set the CPU priority to “minimum” and the memory to 4GB (I have 10 GB available). When looking at htop I can see the following:

Here especially the gray bars are interesting. Those indicate that the CPUs are waiting for IO, so it kind of seems to be related to storage?
I wanted to limit the docker container to only use 2 CPUs out of 4, but I was not able to achieve that.
Is anybody facing similar issues? Is there anything I can do to make sure that a backup is not “shutting down” my Synology NAS?

Thanks!

Bye

Hi all,

I think I have figured out the problem. I had limited the RAM to 4GB and after this amount was exhausted, the UrBackup server started to swap, which caused high io load. Now I have extended the amount to 8GB and currently the backup is running with a load of 2:

As the screenshot shows UrBackup required more than 4 GB, hopefully 8 will suffice (no more available on the NAS :)). I am still confused why UrBackup needs so much memory, what is the reason for that?

Thanks!

Bye

Your first screenshot shows urbackup only using 128M RAM. Maybe something else is using it (dirty memory) or it shows virtual memory use?

Hi @uroni,

as you can see in the second screenshot UrBackup is using much more, so I am assuming that the fact, that UrBackup runs in a container, prevents htop from getting this right. When the load was high before I assigned more memory, I could see in the same way as the second screenshot that UrBackup was using the full 4 GB that I assigned earlier.

Bye