Good way to install Cleint

Hello.

i’m new to urbackup. I’ve installed on a 2008r2 server the urbackup server 2.1.19 and a 2.1.16 client on a win7 pro on my network (all on a domain).

I’ve installed the client after donwload it on urbackup website.

1 - My first question was : what was the good process to install a client ??? In my case the client does not retrieve special param from the server. Do i have to create first the profile on server and after install the client generated by the server ??? (a lots of work)

2 - Second question : if you install the client (not generated by the server) after the server discover client, it make a full backup of the computer. How i can avoid that. I want to control what server do on client and for now i dont want to backup the full computer.

thanks for all your responses.

Hi

If you install the client with the “standard” setup, the client should discover the server automatically, of course if the client is on the same subnet as the server. After installing the client, a tray notification should appear after few seconds / minutes saying that a new server have been discovered and have to click on the notification to use this server.
To force the client to use a particular server, you can add the server’s key in the server_idents.txt file located in PROGRAMFILES\Urbackup directory and restart the urbackup client service.
You can find the server’s key here :

[quote=“phoenix40, post:1, topic:4147”]
2 - Second question : if you install the client (not generated by the server) after the server discover client, it make a full backup of the computer. How i can avoid that. I want to control what server do on client and for now i dont want to backup the full computer.
[/quote]

You should disable backups in the server’s general settings and create some clients groups with your real backup policy.

This way when a client is discovered, the general parameters will be applied, i.e no backup at all. After this you’ll have to move the client in the wanted group :