Filename xxx contains ":" which the operating system does not allow in paths. Replacing

I´m testing Urbackup - so far a nice experience. I have a problem with multiple warnings (+1000) in an otherwise succesfull backup of SUSE SLES12 SP2.
There are a lot of entries like:
Warnings
07/02/17 10:43
Filename “136:0” contains ‘:’ which the operating system does not allow in paths. Replacing ‘:’ with '’ and appending hash._

Can anyone explain the true nature of this warning - I understand the words - but not sure I understand why.

Running Server 2.1.16 beta on Windows Server 2012R2. Client running ver. 2.0.36.

/Anders

Try creating a file with : in the file name on Windows :wink:

What is the full path of those files? If it is some special file system or something like /dev it should be excluded because it does not make sense to backup those.

Sorry for adding a bad example.:slight_smile: Here´s another one - but offcourse that would impose the same problem with Windows not able to support those characters in filenames. Question is, how will a restore of same object behave - when Urbackup replaces * with a _ and appending hash?
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 395 Jan 7 07:08 config-mandrake-linux-10.1-*

Hmm. What´s wrong with my exclusions. Are these right or wrong - it seems the Backup Server doesn´t take them into considerations but keeps up with bckup these directories.

/tmp/: /.snapshots/; /webmin/; /dev/shm/; /run; /sys/fs/cgroup/; /run/user/*;/var/cache

Odd - because I am writing the /webmin/ exclusion with * before and after, but somehow it cannot be pasted into the post.

My guess is the ’ : ’ after /tpm/*

Are you positive that your exclusions have the appropriate separators?

That is also strange because it is normally '' that you cannot put something in front of because it’s a special character, otherwise ‘\*’ would look like ‘*’.

My separator(s) is semicolon(s) ;

examples:
/usr/libexec/webmin/ldap-server/config-freebsd-8-* ( not a big deal - it is hardly used)
/home/xxuserxx/Maildir/.Sent Messages/cur/1476030509.M749536P17979.ThePostmaster,S=360,W=377:2,S (from imap folder)
/etc/zypp/repos.d/SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_SP2_x86_64:SLES12-SP2-Source-Pool.repo (repository listing i presume).

There are more places/directories - and as stated not all are equally important, but it takes some effort to exclude directories. Another question is, how it will behave in a restore situation.
I am having difficulty on how to deal with it - or not.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.