File backups via the windows "Previous Versions"?

Is there any way to access/restore the file backups via the windows “Previous Versions”?

I was not able to find a definitive answer on the forums.

My Urbackup server is installed on an ubuntu server with mergerfs and SAMBA shares. BTRFS or ZFS file systems with their associated snapshot features are not an option at the moment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Any input at all? It’s hard to believe that nobody knows if this is possible or that I’m the first person to ask about this capability.

The “previous versions” thing in windows works by keeping shadow copies on the local drive & pulling old versions out of the system volume information folder using built in Windows features.

It may be possible to hack the registry & possibly other system files so that context menu item does something other than what Microsoft intended, it may also involve hacking or changing system files to pull off…

The sensible answer is “not really”.

Adding an equivalent function & a custom context menu entry would probably be easier, if you want to write the feature, maybe the devs will be interested in including it, the source is all there.

Or you can post in the feature requests section, it’s possible people might upvote it, though it’s not really the purpose the main program is focussed on. You being the first to ask is something I find easy enough to believe as a result.

Alternatively, enable & configure the Windows feature itself to preserve previous versions so you can retrieve them natively.