Feature Request: Backup to Network Share

Hi,

I need the option to backup to a network share on a NAS where all our backups are stored. The UrBackup-Server itself should not host the backup data in my case because the (virtual) Server has not enough space to host all my ~70 Client Backups.
I use a Nethserver 7 RC (based on CentOS 7) for the hosting of UrBackup

If your Server is hosted on a CentOS Basis, why don’t you just mount your NAS Share to the folder where UrBackup writes your backups to?

For example: mount -t cifs //NAS/Documents /mnt/UrBackups
(Thats for samba shares, but depending on your Network Performance you might want to choose a Protocol with less overhead.)

i guess thats the easiest and fastet way :slight_smile:

1. Yes your right, but in my view this is a workaround and not a real solution :wink:

2. And how do I mount it with credentials? (I have nearly no idea about Linux…)
    I am getting this error when I execute just what you wrote above (and after creating folder /mnt/UrBackups):

[root@srvbck~]# mount -t cifs //192.168.0.1/BackupDisk/ClientBackups /mnt/UrBackups
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.0.1/BackupDisk/ClientBackups,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
    need a /sbin/mount. helper program)
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so.

1 Like

Sorry i were busy the past days, i hope you’re still reading this.

So basically you can mount it with credentials like this: mount -t cifs \myserver\path \mnt\ -o user=myUser,password=myPassword (may differ a bit according to your distribution and version but a “mount --help” will show you the syntax)

(the path in \mnt\ has to exist already, does the folder \mnt\UrBackup\ exist?)

if the FS type wrong check what kind of share your Network share offers (for example: windows share -> cifs, nfs, iscsi)
depending on that your mount differs. (iscsi doesnt use mount you’ll need to use the open-iscsi package for that)

as i dont know the distribution you’re using, you might need to install special FS packages like “cifs-utils” for Windows and Samba shares or “nfs-common” for NFS mounts.

Hope i could help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yepp, I am still here.
I will try to implement this. Thanks so far!