Experience research poll (vote please)

Hello urBackup community!
Let’s summarize our usage experience.
Please feel free to leave comments with your recommendations/solutions.
It’s can be very helpful for novices and urBackup development as well I hope.
Feel free to suggest your questions for this poll.

To @uroni if this is acceptable please share the statistics with us if you have any.

Backup server OS
  • Ubuntu Server
  • Debian
  • CentOS
  • Other Linux
  • Other NAS OS
  • Container
  • Windows

0 voters

Running on
  • Physical hardware
  • VMWare VM
  • Hyper-V VM

0 voters

File system under backup storage
  • BTRFS
  • ZFS
  • NTFS
  • EXT4
  • Other

0 voters

Your update strategy
  • Always latest version
  • Previous version
  • Differ update channel

0 voters

Your uptime
  • Weekly reboot
  • Monthly reboot
  • Several months of stable uptime with no issues

0 voters

Size of environment (Backup clients per server)
  • Less or equal 10
  • From 10 to 20
  • From 20 to 40
  • More than 40

0 voters

System resources for backup server you chose
  • x2 CPU cores / 4GB RAM
  • x2 CPU cores / 8GB RAM
  • x4 CPU cores / 8GB RAM
  • x4 CPU cores / 16GB RAM

0 voters

Total stability
  • Stable
  • Stable if weekly maintenance planned
  • Stable if monthly maintenance planned
  • Stable if quarterly maintenance planned
  • I’m issue periodic problems
  • Unstable (I can’t use this)

0 voters

Usage scenario
  • Only home
  • Home / Small office
  • In Business usage (you sell backup as a service)

0 voters

The reboots are about Microsoft patches (2nd Tuesday of month) nothing to do with anything UrBackup requires.

2 Likes

I have multiple sites with Windows Server + Windows workstations on NTFS, but also have run a site on a Debian-derived Linux on XFS, which was chosen to support large numbers of small files better than EXT2/3/4. I’m about to stand up a Linux test server on BTRFS for the 2.5 series development. For that reason I’d prefer each answer in the first question to be a separate question with a range of responses, as with Clients per Server. Forum participants running a single Server are likely to have differing experiences from those running five or more. You might also want to ask about the number of internet connected Clients versus local subnet Clients, as some of the common issues are quite different between them.

Any difficulties encountered may not scale linearly. My experience was that adding one internet Client to several local Clients is a large step. Two to four is a smaller step. Five to ten is getting where differences in client needs dominate the added complexity rather than the type of connection. I’d predict that by the time one supports ten clients of a type, either internet or local, the eleventh and further is added by standard procedures and does not incur more than a linear increase in resource usage.

I know this is “preaching to the choir” but my experience has been that UrBackup scales very well in all directions. Backup error reports generally reflect a problem with the workstation, not UrBackup, and help direct my attention to developing situations such as hard drive failures or malware attacks. It’s become an essential tool both for disaster preparedness and daily operations.

Thanks, Uroni!