Excluding files/directories from image backup

Hello,

Trying to backup a windows PC but trying to omit one folder holding about 250GB of archive files

Have tried adding c:\archive\* (in “excluded files” file backup settings tab) but full image backup is still adding this folder to full image backup

Is there anyway of omitting files/folders from full image backup (same as in files backup)?

thanks

On the client.
Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot

If you do they’ll vanish from file backups too, since those are made from snapshots as well.

Hi thanks for reply

I added the “multi-string value” key with value of… “\archive\ . /s” (with two * 's, for some reason if i put them on either side of the “.” this post removes them when i click “save”)

restarted the pc, and tried another full image backup, its backing up right now but still showing the full backup size inclusive of the “c:\archive” folder ?

harry

Have you seen the following?

It suggests that the files should be deleted after the snapshot is complete.

Good find…

after looking at the docs :slight_smile: … just decided to shrink the C partition and create a new partition and move the archive folders over to there, problem sorted!

thanks for the info

2 Likes

That’s actually the better solution from a data integrity standpoint.