Exclude files in wild card path?

I am trying determine if you can exclude files in a path with a wild card?

Example: /home/*/Downloads/*

Will this exclude just the files in the Downloads directory for each user?

Not sure that would work. How do you think the first * will be interpreted?

If you want to exclude ALL directories named “Download” you could try */Download of if you want to exclude a particular folder, remove all *:s and use the direct path, no need for wildcards. If you only want to exclude the content, add the * at the end. But do NOT use * inside the string.

Thanks. Yeah, I can’t just do */Download I do see some folders with that same name that need to be included. So just wrote a script to add the directory for each Download in the user directories for all users.

I might have been wrong here. “:” might be usable.
I got curious and pressed the ? in the webgui and in the include section (it is not mentioned in the exclude, but maybe it works there as well?) it says:

Additionally to the standard wildcard("*") which matches every character you can use ":" which matches every character except the path separator (/ or ). If you backup e.g. the C:\Users path and want to backup all document directories you can use the pattern

Users\:\Documents\*

That way e.g. Users\Foo\Other\Documents would not be backed up.

The pattern is used for all paths you specify. So if you use the above rule for the Users folder and want to backup all files in another folder be sure to add that folder to the pattern e.g. by specifying

Users\:\Documents\*;D:\bla\*

1 Like