Error: Cannot copy directory metadata

Client version 2.1.17 on Windows 10
Server version 2.1.20 running on Windows Server 2012 R2
Storage on another Windows Server 2012 R2

I got URbackup running the way I want but I can’t get around this one persistent issue.

Incremental is copying the modified file into ‘\filestore\f$\URBackup\ggig.directory_pool’ but the modified version of the file is not showing up in the ‘Backups’ section of the GUI.

Logs show large quantitiy of the following error:

01/23/18 22:57
Cannot copy directory metadata from “\filestore\f$\URBackup\ggig\180123-1639.hashes\C\.dir_metadata” to “\filestore\f$\URBackup\ggig\180123-2249.hashes\C\.dir_metadata”. - The system cannot find the file specified. (errorcode=2)

When I look in the directories listed in the error:
‘.dir_metadata’ does not exist within ‘\filestore\f$\URBackup\ggig\180123-1639.hashes\C’ and
‘\filestore\f$\URBackup\ggig\180123-2249.hashes\C’ is not accessable and I get a Windows error “You might not have permission to use this resource” from my (domain administrative) account or “The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect” from the admin acount that the urbackup service is using. ‘\filestore\f$\URBackup\ggig\180123-2249.hashes\C’ is actually a shortcut that the admin account that the URbackup service is running under can’t even open.

Any idea what is going on here and how I can fix it?

I know this is an old post, but I had this issue and I was able to resolve it. I made sure to re-enable Full Backups for the client (I had previously checked the Disabled checkboxes for full backups, and was only running Incrementals), and ran a Full Backup… that was it. This fixed multiple clients I had with this issue.