Compiling error Visual Studio

Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to reading this and maybe help me out. Im brand new to the group and first post :slight_smile: . I’m having an issue when following these directions for compiling the front and backend (want to create a server exe file) they are found at the bottom of the GitHub backend repository.

Building on Windows

If git is in PATH you can download all dependencies by running update_deps.bat .

Afterwards opening and compiling the solution UrBackupBackend.sln with Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 should work.

build_client.bat and build_server.bat build the installers but you need to install a lot of dependencies like WiX, NSIS plus plugins, etc.

Steps performed

1.download and extract frontend and backend
2.create new folder inside backend called “client” and copy all contents for frontend into it
3.inside the main backend file click “update_deps.bat” (the deps file builds successfully)
4.click “UrBackupBackend.sln” . Visual studio opens then I tell it to build the solution
5. 5 minutes passes and I end up with 87 errors related to the two following:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: ‘sha.h’: No such file or directory fileservplugin c:\users\administrator\downloads\urbackup_deps_update_2\urbackupcommon\sha2\sha2.h 210

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: ‘md5.h’: No such file or directory fileservplugin c:\users\administrator\downloads\urbackup_deps_update_2\md5.h 120

I go to the path it lists, it is there and can easily open the file so I’m not sure why it is saying the file cannot be opened.

I feel like this may be due to the incorrect order for compilation or that maybe I’m missing some dependencies however in the guide it doesn’t state what all those dependencies are.

All I am trying to accomplish is a small modification of the client file that the server builds when auto creating client files.Is there an easier way?

Any help is greatly appreciated I am a network security engineer and have elementary knowledge of software development so I ask that you respond in “child’s words” so I can easily pickup what you’re layin down :slight_smile:

The md5.h/sha.h files are in deps\include\cryptopp\, so my guess is this did not run successfully. Alternatively you need to switch the solution configuration to x64 (Debug) or Release.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the guidance.I took a look at that directory and see the md5.h file but I only see ssh.h and ssh3.h. Where can I grab the sha2.h file to be able to copy it into the directory? I changed to debug x64 and tried without the sha2.h file and seems to not care that the sha2.h is missing as I don’t get any errors for that file nor any failures what so ever (========== Rebuild All: 12 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========).

However, when I attempt to change it to Release x64 I have multiple errors (shown below) and no .exe file. I have uploaded the output file/log from Visual Studio 2017 for Debug and for Release.

Errors seen in Release log:

1>LINK : fatal error C1047: The object or library file ‘C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\urbackup_backend-dev\deps\libs\cryptlib_x86_64.lib’ was created with an older compiler than other objects; rebuild old objects and libraries
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1257: code generation failed
1>Done building project “fileservplugin.vcxproj” – FAILED.

4>LINK : fatal error C1047: The object or library file ‘C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\urbackup_backend-dev\deps\libs\cryptlib_x86_64.lib’ was created with an older compiler than other objects; rebuild old objects and libraries
4>LINK : fatal error LNK1257: code generation failed
4>Done building project “urbackupserver.vcxproj” – FAILED.

5>LINK : fatal error C1047: The object or library file ‘C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\urbackup_backend-dev\deps\libs\cryptlib_x86_64.lib’ was created with an older compiler than other objects; rebuild old objects and libraries
5>LINK : fatal error LNK1257: code generation failed
5>Done building project “urbackupclient.vcxproj” – FAILED.

7>LINK : fatal error C1047: The object or library file ‘C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\urbackup_backend-dev\deps\libs\cryptlib_x86_64.lib’ was created with an older compiler than other objects; rebuild old objects and libraries
7>LINK : fatal error LNK1257: code generation failed
7>Done building project “cryptoplugin.vcxproj” – FAILED.

Any further guidance would be appreciated. Looks like I’m very close to getting this to work :slight_smile:

To my understanding .dll files are added when compiling Release. Is this true or are there also other files added?

VS2017_Debug_x64_Build_log.pdf (105.3 KB)

VS2017_Release_x64_Build_log.pdf (97.5 KB)

I was able to get this working problems were:
1st:
need to change to Release x64 when compile
2nd:
the error code C1047 had to do with me updating from 2015 to 2017 and using the code I already attempted to compile in 2015. Once I deleted the entire file and then started from scratch everything worked as it was supposed to. So simple!! Thank you !