I’m trying to develop a robust approach to restoring a different machine’s backup using the command line; I’m running Mac client 2.2.5.
At present I’m following this approach:
Download the source machine’s client from the web GUI;
Run the installer;
Download the tokens folder from the source machine’s last backup, and insert it into the var/urbackup folder.
At this point, I’m then running ./urbackupclientctl browse - to which I sometimes get expected responses, and sometimes I get the message No backup server found. I don’t know how to resolve this issue when it happens.
When I do get expected responses, I then run ./urbackupclientctl restore-start -d /root -m / -t /Volumes/USB -b last (I’m trying to restore a complete machine onto a target USB drive). Even though I’ve got expected responses to the browse command, I then often get Error starting restore. Errorcode: 4
At this point, I often end up uninstalling the client and starting again from scratch. Sometimes I find that downloading a tokens folder from a different backup (same machine, different timestamp) works.
Am I going about this the right way? It all seems very clunky, and I can’t believe I’m the only one butting my head up against it…
Did you tried naming the new computer the same than the old one?
On mac maybe you d need to set client name as a client property in the web UI or something like this.
As i read on mac, urbackup has problems reconising that a client is the same (sometime it see multiple clients instead of one)
Any special reason to use the cli and not simply set “server-confirm” in the client config file, then start the restore rom the web ui?
The new computer seems to happily pick up the old computer’s name from the downloaded client installer off the web GUI - I haven’t had to manually set this anywhere.
Yes - I’ve seen that when setting up a brand new Mac client - but I’m not having that issue in this scenario.
Yes - I’m wanting to be able to restore certain system and library files - such as plug-ins, preferences, fonts, etc. Doing this directly into a running OS is going to cause problems, so I’m running off a secondary OS install and attempting to restore onto the destination OS, mounted as an external drive.
In due course, I’m wanting to find a way to do a full system (OS and all) restore - which would have to be done from a secondary OS install. But these issues of Errorcode 4 et al are frustrating my journeys down that path.