"Client name" Server Gui and "Computer name" Windows Client Gui

Could some one describe me the meaning of the “Client name” Field at Server Gui and “Computer Name” Windows Client Gui.

What are the correct relation and full description of these two fields? Sorry have not found anything in the manual. And some posts are confusing me.

What I have found out so far:

• Server Gui “Client name” Field will update the Client Gui “Computer name” Field. Except the Server Gui “Client name” is emtpy.
  • For a backup over the Internet the Client Gui “Computer name” Field must be the the real Client name of the Computer, but the Server Gui “Client name” can be empty.

client_gui

Ive not looked in to this fully, however one will be the name you see on the server side (a friendly name) the other is the actual PC name of the real computer. Most services like this will name the friendly name the same as the computer name unless you change it.

Thanks for your description, as I already written. Friendly name don’t work for Internet Backup and authentication, because this field on Sever Gui will update the Client Field. And when the the Field Computer name on Client Gui is different like the Client real name (for example first site of server Gui) the authentication will not work.

This sounds like an oversight once the internet portion was created… ive not looked at it fully as its not something that ive bumped in to as an issue (yet)

Here’s my experience with what “Computer Name”

I will usually download a pre-configured client. In my experience, it DOES NOT MATTER if you use the “computer name” (a NetBIOS network name, etc.) that the actual PC uses or if you make up your own. Once the software client has made its first connection to your remote or local server, the will keep it the same.

As to the “friendly name” on the WebGUI side, I have not tried changing this value because i already accepted the initial name I entered to create the client in the first place.

On my WebGUI, the “Client name” field is EMPTY under the “Client” tab just for reference.

I hope this does not further confuse you.