Client machine will not discover Urbackup Server

I have a machine running Urbackup client v2.0.33 and it will not discover the Urbackup server. I can ping the Urbackup server from the client machine and vice versa and i have confirmed the correct server ident key is listed on the clients machine. I am running Urbackup Server v2.0.32. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the client and rebooted the machine 2 times and still no luck. Also i have tried to add the client from the server and it lists the client under Discovery and sees it is online but it still will not connect. Any ideas?

Firewalling?

I have tripled check the Windows firewall and confirmed that Urbackup Client is set to allow anything Inbound for UrBackup. I also compared it to another machine running the same client version of Urbackup and the Windows Firewall was set the same on that machine that is connected no problem.

Have you tried if the TCP/UDP ports are open?
Between two linux boxe I would try

lsof -i on each one of them to make sure that ports are open

Example from my ubuntu box (shivers because I am a Fedora fan):
> root@2001-48F8-22-41C-0-0-0-5-dynamic:~# lsof -i |grep urbackup
> urbackups 2669 urbackup 6u IPv4 20222 0t0 TCP *:55414 (LISTEN)
> urbackups 2669 urbackup 29u IPv4 20230 0t0 UDP 192.168.0.23:35623
> urbackups 2669 urbackup 34u IPv4 21014 0t0 TCP *:55413 (LISTEN)

So you can see that the ports for urbackup are truely open.
But you also need to see if your firewall allows them to be reachable.
on Fedora I check that with:
firewall-cmd --list-services

since i am new to ubuntu I do not know what command could give you a list of ports to get through the firewall.

on my local network it seems this is safe:

root@2001-48F8-22-41C-0-0-0-5-dynamic:~# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
root@2001-48F8-22-41C-0-0-0-5-dynamic:~# iptables -S
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT

ufw seems to be an equivalent of firewalld-cmd but is it disabled on my 1 day ubuntu installation:
root@2001-48F8-22-41C-0-0-0-5-dynamic:~# ufw status

But anyhow, in your case I would really dig into whether the ports are in the LISTEN state and if they are open on both firewalls.

Perhaps try nmap.

Lin

1. What OS is running on server ?
  2. Are server and client both in the same subnet ?

I was bale to open the ports manually in Windows Firewall and it has connected. It is strange though because Urbackup created its own rule in Windows Firewall to allow any ports for that service but yet would not connect until i manually opened the ports. Strange issue but the client has connected now. Thanks for the insight.

I was going to ask if they are on the same subnet but i see someone already asked that. I can not get a client on a different subnet to find the server. Same subnet no problem, different subnet no go.