Client can't connect to server. Db error?

Hi,

First up - thanks for taking time to read my request for help :slight_smile:

I have a running server on a Win Server 2012 with a connected Win10 client. All is dandy. My newest device a laptop running Ubuntu 16.04 however is another story.

The client is visible on the server dashboard, so it is connected over LAN. However when running the install guide I get errors when running sudo urbackupclientbackend -v info I get the following error and Terminal stalls:

2017-07-04 23:32:25: ERROR: urbackupserver: Failed binding socket to port 35623. Another instance of this application may already be active and bound to this port.
2017-07-04 23:32:25: ERROR: Binding tcp socket to port 35621 failed. Another instance of this application may already be active and bound to this port.
2017-07-04 23:32:25: ERROR: FileServ exit with error code: 99
2017-07-04 23:32:25: Started UrBackupClient Backend…
2017-07-04 23:32:26: Looking for old Sessions… 0 sessions
2017-07-04 23:32:26: Final path: $home

I then typed urbackupclientbackend -i -v debug in another Terminal and got this:

2017-07-04 23:35:16: ERROR: Error opening admin only file
2017-07-04 23:35:16: ERROR: Error setting file permissions to “urbackup/backup_client.db”
2017-07-04 23:35:16: WARNING: SQLite: cannot open file at line 35486 of [a65a62893c] errorcode: 14
2017-07-04 23:35:16: WARNING: SQLite: os_unix.c:35486: (13) open(/usr/local/var/urbackup/backup_client.db) - errorcode: 14
2017-07-04 23:35:16: Could not open db [urbackup/backup_client.db]
2017-07-04 23:35:16: WARNING: SQLite: API call with invalid database connection pointer errorcode: 21
2017-07-04 23:35:16: WARNING: SQLite: misuse at line 140033 of [a65a62893c] errorcode: 21
2017-07-04 23:35:16: ERROR: Database “urbackup/backup_client.db” couldn’t be opened
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Deciphering that and figuring out a solution is way above my Ubuntu clearance and pay grade unfortunately.

But maybe some of you masterminds are able to help a newb in a pickle? :smile:

Again - thanks a lot in advance :thumbsup:

The first set of error is what it says. Urbackup is already runnign and you try to start up a second time.

The second, maybe the urbackup service is started with a different user or something and it screws up because your trying to start it a second time wit a differnt user

The “client” app is urbackupclientctl it control urbackupbackend, urbackupbackend, then speak to the server.

If the client is online in the web UI, that should be enought to get you started to configure it.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It is true that the service is running, but there are still some issues with it:

• I can’t load the GUI. The installation guide says to run the urbackupclientgui in Terminal but doing that gets me a Application is already started even though I still cannot see a taskbar icon (to open the GUI).
  • When I try urbackupclientctl set-settings I get a:
    urbackupclientctl: Permission denied Cannot read backend password from /usr/local/var/urbackup/pw_change.txt
  • Even just trying to start a backup with urbackupclientctl start -f leaves me with a timeout.

Perhaps I should try to uninstall the service and try from scratch? Do you know how to do that?

Hello

Let’s put the UI appart, please use the server web UI (on linux you gotta compile yourself to get the ui running, so there s a lof of gotcha here, plus things get complex, because you can overload the sever settings wih the ui setting… or not)

if you do ls -l /usr/local/var/urbackup/pw_change.txt ,which permissions does it have ?
if you sudo urbackupclientctl start -f l , does it works ?

Hi again,

Alright. I will follow your guide :slight_smile:

On the first command I get following response:

-rwx------ 1 root root 30 jul 3 11:22 /usr/local/var/urbackup/pw_change.txt

I assume a typo in the next command - I have left out “l”. Hope that is correct:

sudo urbackupclientctl start -f
Waiting for server to start backup… done
Timeout while waiting for server to start backup

So my guess is that it doesnt work.

Thanks so much for taking your time :slight_smile:

Yes, it doesn t works but the error is different.

You couldnt access the pw_change.txt because of permissions issue when running the cmd as a standard user, with sudo you can access it.

So now, it s most likely a network issue, like a firewall somewhere, or the service not running ( double it)

test via :
nc -z -v -w5 urbackupsrv 55413
nc -z -v -w5 urbackupsrv 55414
nc -z -v -w5 urbackupsrv 55415

Can you elaborate on how to use those commands? Should I just c/p them into Terminal or?
Pardon my noobness - I’m quite new to Linux :slight_smile:

I doubt it is a firewall issue though: Firewall on my Ubuntu is disabled, Windows Firewall on my server is allowing all traffic from Urbackup and my main stationary pc runs perfectly. Only difference is that my Ubuntu machine is connected on Wifi.