Client backend will not start

I followed the install instructions here: UrBackup - Install client on Debian or Ubuntu from sources

But the client background damon will not run and errors with:

sudo urbackupclientbackend -v info
2022-10-25 16:10:00: ERROR: Binding tcp socket to port 35621 failed. Another instance of this application may already be active and bound to this port.
2022-10-25 16:10:00: ERROR: urbackupserver: Failed binding socket to port 35623. Another instance of this application may already be active and bound to this port.
2022-10-25 16:10:00: ERROR: FileServ exit with error code: 99
2022-10-25 16:10:00: Started UrBackupClient Backend…
2022-10-25 16:10:01: Looking for old Sessions… 0 sessions
2022-10-25 16:10:01: Final path: /home/daryl
2022-10-25 16:10:01: Final path: /mnt/m2ssd
2022-10-25 16:10:01: Final path: /tmp/.com.google.Chrome.yWHjAn/SingletonSocket

Perhaps I need to uninstall and older client, but the install package did not have the uninstall script.

Hello @datashuttle

You seem to have an instance already running. Try the following to identify the culprit:

sudo netstat -tunlp |egrep "LISTEN|35621"

AND

sudo netstat -tunlp |egrep "LISTEN|35623"

If you have installed client using the official shell script, you should have an uninstall that comes with it.

sudo uninstall_urbackupclient

I noticed that sometimes, it is required to reboot the machine to have a clean base to reinstall client again.

Hope this helps,
K,

Thanks for the reply. I had already checked for the client backend running, and it is not, confirmed with the netstat commands. I also noticed the uninstall_urbackupclient script is not part of the Linux tar source download. I’ll try to find it in github. Perhaps that will clean up what the problem is.

Here is the output of the sudo ./urbackupclientbackend command:
sudo ./urbackupclientbackend
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::logic_error’
what(): basic_string::_M_construct null not valid
Aborted

Thanks again.

Okay, just pulled the uninstall script from the github repo, and it didn’t do anything as it’s looking for the systemd service, which doesn’t exist and is, therefore, not loaded.

Hi again,

Try to download sh from here Index of /Client
Install client, then uninstall via the script. If you do not wish to install via this script, you might need to manually find and remove all paths and files of urbackupclient.

I never used the tar to install so I can’t help you much on this.

Hope this works for you… otherwise you’ll have to find it by yourself or wait for someone to reply.

If you find out a good solution, please share it to help other people facing the same issue.

Have a great day,
K,