Changed files not being pickup up in incrementals and some incrementals backing up everything

Not sure if GUI just not aligned with actual files or if backups are just doing their own thing.

Client version 2.1.17
Windows 10 Pro
Server version 2.1.20

I have setup URBackup to perform file backups on 2 test Windows 10 PC’s. The values in the “Included Files” section are:
C:\Users:\desktop*;C:\Users:\documents*;C:\Users:\pictures*;C:\Users:\videos*

Both full and incremental backups are starting according to settings and are completing without errors. The first full backup backed up all the correct files on one PC but backed up zero files on the second test PC. I deleted the full backup of the second test PC and URBackup initiated another full backup and backed up all the correct files the second time around without me changing any settings at all.

What is really perplexing me is that I have a txt document on each of these test clients that I have been adding lines of text to after each incremental backup to test if the next incremental will pick it up. But when I use the URBackup server Web browser interface to check if the txt document got picked up in the next incremental, the GUI shows that it wasn’t backed up and in fact that 0 bytes have been backed up. However, if I go into Windows Explorer and search for that txt file in the directory that I configured to store the backups, I will find the most up to date version of it. The path where I find the file changes based on the incremental backup but is similar to:
\Server\f$\URBackup\Lab.directory_pool\xp\xpmDlU7paK15162643712470799937\Users\user\Desktop

Also, URBackup just completed an Incremental backup of my first test machine and the Web Gui reported back that the incremental was about the same size as the full (6 gigs). I checked the actual directory where URBackups are stored and the the size did actually increase by 6 gigs. The previous incremental was 6 hours ago and I haven’t changed any files on that machine in that time period so nothing should have been backed up.

• Really the ultimate test is to look at try to restore a file and check if it s what you expect, this should always work.
  • The best/simplest thing to check for disk usage is to look at the whole disk/partition.

Where do you see that, is there a line in a log file or something else?

Did you search from the backup tab and try to restore it , or searched for it in the log files?

Unless you try to debug or you re deseperate for a missing file , please do not try to restore a file from there. start a restore from the web gui (my prefered method) or from the client.

Dues to linked files, it’s quite hard if you re not very technical to know the actual space used.
Urbackup file size aren’t even consistent between each part of the gui.
There may be an issue, but please, really put a lot of details when investigating disk usage issue.

This is what I was attempting to do. I did a full backup on my test PC. I edited a txt file with a new line after the full was complete. The next day after 4 incrementals had occurred. From the server, I logged into URBackup as administrator and I attempted to restore the text file from the UR Backup Web interface in the “Backup Section”. The full backup had the older version of the text file. The 1st incremental shows a size of 5.24kb but no files show in that backup. The 2nd incremental shows a size of 0 bytes and there are no files in there. The 3rd incremental shows a size of 6.16 gigs but there are no files in there. The fourth incremental shows a size of 31 kb and there are no file in there. I cannot find a newer version of the file anywhere in the Web interface.

Note: The above results was from the Gui on the URBackup server. Afterwards, I set up a user for Test Machine A and then on the test machine I ran “Access/Restore Backups” (server:55414/#) and I still show a total of 5 backups but one version and one entry of the test file when I list that file. However, when I copy and pasted server:55414/ into the browser, I was prompted to log in and the Backups section showed several version of my test file including the correct version.

So, my question is: should the Backups section of the admin login on the server be showing the same results on the client using the user login?

I don’t see it written anywhere that there were zero files backed up. However, when I go into the “Backups” section of the Gui and select the test machine and drill down, there are zero files to drill down to. I have been adding lines to a test file after each incremental and they don’t come over. Again, this is while logged in on the Backup server as admin.

Do you mean an actual search feature in the Web interface? If there is one then I wasn’t able to find it and perhaps that is the problem. I did go into the backup tab and drill down through all the backups. Again after the original post I was able to get updated test file to show up on the client but it still does not work from the server. When I attempt form the client “server:55414/#” does prompt for a login and does not show all version of the test file while “server:55414/” does prompt for login and does show all versions of file whether I login as admin or the user I created for that machine.

I was trying to debug. I was checking to see of the files were being backup because I couldn’t find them in the interface. They were being backed up. The Web interface just wasn’t showing it when I attempted to navigate to it.

Since I have never used this particular backup solution before I am not sure what the intended behavior is. Should the Admin login from the server see the same backup results for a client that the client would see if the logged into the Gui? Should a client logged into “server:55414/#” see the same backup results and restore options if they logged in using “server:55414/”

HUmm i am getting out of ideas of what is going on.

If you start a restore from the client and it then shows a web ui to browse the backups the result are actually filtered and you dont have the exact same ui.
You should see less things when you start a restore that way than from accessing the web ui directly with the admin account.

As each did happens on the forums before , could it be that :
You did setup a previous urbackup server for tests and forget it.
Or that your roommate overheard the word urbackup and decided to try too?

The web interface shows only the files the user is allowed to access when called with “Access/Restore backups” from the tray icon.

If you are in a LDAP/AD environment you might want to try 2.2.x (beta) and run a full file backup as AD user support was improved there.