Bug. Client don't give “Default directories to backup” from server. Full report and solution

Server: UrBackup 2.4.12, debian 10.3 64bit / Linux 4.19.0-8-amd64).
Client: UrBackup 2.4.10, Windows 10x64.

Issue (Bug):

Client don’t get “Default directories to backup” setting from server despite the fact that the client does not have rights to:

• “Allow client-side changing of settings” (disabled);
  • “Allow client-side changing of the directories to backup” (disabled).

Full report and solution:
The client has only one client permission “Allow client-side changing of the directories to backup”.

Now “Default directories to backup” is “C:;”.

Check it on the client.

It’s fine! As we see it’s the same.
Then change “Default directories to backup” from “C:;” to “D:;” in the web.

Check it on the client.
The client got new “Default directories to backup” setting from server. It works normally.

Then add directory “F:\Backup folder 1” to backup at the client.

Check it on the server.

Probably bug1:

As we see new directory to backup “F:\Backup folder 1” wasn’t add to “Default directories to backup” at the server .

As I understand client and server have to synchronize the setting “Default directories to backup” but don’t do it .

I think It’s very bad because we check backup settings on the server and if I see directories “Default directories to backup” is “D:;” then I’m sure for 100% present that client backups precisely the directories which in that setting (in that case “D:;”).

And when I need to restore files I have to be sure that I had backups of these directories.

But now this is not so.

From this test it follows that to check the “Default directories to backup” settings, I need to connect to the client and from there check the directories for backup. I think it’s very uncomfortable.

Let’s continue tests.

Logically to avoid the problems described above, I decide to prohibit the client change of the directories to backup.

Therefore, the client will not be able to change this option and the “Default directories for backup” and now if I see directories “Default directories to backup” is “D:;” then I can be sure for 100% present that client backups precisely the directories which in that setting.

The above is just a chain of my logical thoughts.

Make disable “Allow client-side changing of the directories to backup”

Then change “Default directories to backup” from “D:;” to “G:;”.

Check these settings on the client.

Probably bug2:

Permissions works fine. As we see the client can’t anymore change the directories for backup.

But as we see client still have old directories to backup and didn’t got new setting “Default directories for backup” from server.

I thought maybe it needs more time to update the settings, but even after an hour the settings remained the same.

Hmm… What to do?! How now to change the directories for backup, because on the client I can’t change them, because no permissions. And the settings from the server are also not applied by the client.

It’s strange because when we began this test it worked fine!

What could affect? The only thing than I change was add new directory for backup from client.

Continue tests

Let’s try to enable permissions “Allow client-side changing of the directories to backup”, then on the client delete all directories for backup, then disable “Allow client-side changing of the directories to backup”. Then check backup folders on the client may be in that case it will work fine.

On the client delete all directories for backup

Disable “Allow client-side changing of the directories to backup".

After that check “Default directories to backup” on the client and permissions.

As we see now client got new settings from the server correctly! It works fine.

Change this setting again from “G:;” to “F:\Backup folder 2”. And check it on the client.

As we see the client got these settings again. It works fine!

Finally, as I understand for the client always got setting “Default directories to backup” from the server and I could be sure that client backups precisely the directories at the server, I need to do settings by these steps:

• enable permissions “Allow client-side changing of the directories to backup”;
  • on the client delete all directories for backup;
  • disable “Allow client-side changing of the directories to backup”;
  • set “Default directories to backup” on the server;
  • check it on the client.

I hope my report helps and developers fix it.

Hi Dmitrius
Found your post when I have similar symptoms, not solved yet but good to know I’m not alone.
Background after years of trying different backup solutions including more manual methods I’m trying UrBackup which looks very promising. My steps to here:-
LAN of several Win Pcs
Tried Win o/s methods - clunky and never sure of reliability
Tape drive and Retrospect OK but difficult to set up & expensive
Acronis - OK but dodgy as software evolved eventually difficult to configure and not reliable
Synology NAS and its backup s/w OK but difficult to configure HW issues and HW lock-in returned for refund
Currently built own NAS hw on FreeNAS / TrueNAS on ZFS with AMD Ryzen. Re-learnt Nix & BSD ways my last use was professionally on XENIX in late 80/early 90s (strange to think Microsoft on UNIX way back then! on Digital PDP 11) plus a little Solaris SUN os.
I run UrBackup on a Iocage Jail have client on 2x Win10 machines latest Win Insider o/s (slow chain).

One client is fine with imaging and file backups just excluding OneDrive stuff. Other client ok on imaging of C: drive but always tried to file backup and failed trying to use Drive paths only valid for other Client although I thought Clients were marked as separate configs in UrBackup server web GUI leading to symptom similar to yours. Tried your fix but no luck.
Now trying delete dodgy client on Server web GUI and reinstall win client sw on the dodgy client. Just waiting for server clean-up window work to test again.
I run a Kali Linux for security research on VMware on the valid client so have a written a backup rsync script on this that SSHs to NAS and backups key things on my NAS (as it took me ages to configure everything including a NextCloud Jail and a Reverse Proxy Jail using excellent guide by
Samuel Dowling

Sorry about the lead in ramblings, why grab a bird int’ hand if you have a team of beaters ont’ misty moor!

Hello!

As I understand it fixed at new version (currently beta version).

File backup paths are now a normal setting just like any other. No more separation between paths to backup configured on the client and default directories to backup

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out @Dmitrius7. I had also found this behaviour to be a bit strange. Paths on the server and the client should always be the same. I am glad that’s changing. Now to wait for the release of 2.5.x

Thank you Dmitry

Good to know. I’m probably not on Beta for backup stuff but if I have chance I’ll try it to see if it resolves my config. Fighting with silly LAN – internet intermittent issue at the moment so a bit distracted!

Cheers Bernie