Backup to NAS + permissions error

I am not familiar with Urbackup just yet and I just recently attempted to configure an installation. I am having a bit of trouble with my backup storage location and permissions; hopefully some of you guys might be able to lend a hand. :slight_smile:

I currently have UrBackup installed on an old x86 machine running Ubuntu 16.04. Since this machine has limited hard drive space and I have a NAS available on my network with 1 TB of space I would like to use this as the storage location.

On the Ubuntu machine I have edited the fstab to automatically mount the NAS volume on startup with CIFS:

//hostname_test_2/nas/Data/BACKUPS /media/NAS cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0

When I attempt to create a backup I receive the following error message (grabbed from the html log).

05/24/17 22:08 - Cannot create directory for backup (server error). No such file or directory (code: 2)
05/24/17 22:08 - Backup failed

Tail for urbackup.log

2017-05-24 22:08:54: ERROR: Could not create or read directory for client “MyPC”
2017-05-24 22:08:54: ERROR: Cannot create directory for backup (server error). No such file or directory (code: 2)
2017-05-24 22:08:54: ERROR: Backup failed

I can create directories no problem with root and my user account. My guess is the process spawned by urbackup to create these directories is not owned by either account. ‘?’ would seem to indicate no ownership (I suppose)?

root@hostnametest:/var/log# ps -ax | grep “urbackup”
1387 ? Sl 0:03 /usr/bin/urbackupsrv run --config /etc/default/urbackupsrv --daemon --pidfile /var/run/urbackupsrv.pid

Guess my question boils down to, where is ownership derived and how can it be changed? If something seems flawed in my configuration please feel free to correct me.

Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t have have an answer to this question, but I find it extremely disheartening that no one responded. I basically have the same issue. I’d say the OP really should have generalized the issue to the following:

How can one use an external storage location (line a NAS, or other network drive) in UrBackup?

I am trying to figure out the same thing and am finding it extremely difficult to accomplish.

Well, 1st off, he should not be using CIFS from a Linux server. He should be using either NFS or ISCS and using a Linux file system, either EXT4 or XFS.

Set ownership to the urbackup user/group
sudo chown urbackup:urbackup {path to mount point}.

I do this all the time with iSCSI. I like iSCSI as it mounts an actual device instead of a share but NFS should work just fine