Backup to local server & different internet server simultaneously

Hey there everyone,

I want to be able to backup my clients to both local server & different internet server, so I would have onsite backup and also offshore backup.
I searched for an answer but the only thing close enough was “uroni” answer in the following post:

I understand that this is not how urbackup logic works but is there a way to override this behavior and accomplish my goal ?

Thank you.

1 Like

Newer versions have the configuration option Connect to Internet backup server if connected to local backup server.

Hey uroni,

Thank you for your hard work & fast reply.

What I did after several attempts to make it work while failing all of them:

1. Configured an internet server & checked the “Connect to Internet backup server if connected to local backup server”.
  2. Install UrBackup from UrBackup installer, then, my local server automatically discover this client.
  3. local server was connected, but I got an authentication error for my internet server, so I added new client (I used the computer name) manually to my internet server.
  4. local server was connected, internet server was connected, but I got “server rejected” message on the internet server.
  5. I then copied server_ident key, priv and pub from my internet server to my local server.
  6. local server was connected, internet server was connected, then I get “backup failed” message with status “Error during server authentication” message on the internet server.

This is what my client shows in the “status” window:

Internet server debug log:
2016-12-19 19:43:27: Connecting to target service…
2016-12-19 19:43:27: Established internet connection. Service=0
2016-12-19 19:43:27: Error sending server signature to client
2016-12-19 19:43:27: Authed+capa for client ‘VM-Win7-1’ (token auth) - 1 spare connections

Client debug log:
2016-12-19 19:43:41: ERROR: Signature error: Verification failed
2016-12-19 19:43:41: rc=0 hasError=true state=0
2016-12-19 19:43:41: SERVICE_COMMANDS finished

What did I missed ?

Also if I understand correctly step 5 was necessary in order to make both server to work, it is not possible to have local & internet servers with different server_idents files if I want to backup to both of them together, correct ?

Thank you .

Anyone have an idea ?

the client will only work with one server, local or internet, but not with both of them.
While one is connected, I will get “ERROR: Signature error: Verification failed” in the second one.
“Connect to Internet backup server if connected to local backup server” is ON.

Thanks.

So after several attempts making local & internet server to work all together I finally was able to make it happen.

I saw that I have another 2 server_ident files that are used for ECDSA signature:

1. server_ident_ecdsa.priv
  2. server_ident_ecdsa.pub

once I copied them also from one server to the other, everything start working.

I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right without causing security issues, can anyone advise ?

Also now when I have 2 servers running with the same clients, each one of them is able to change settings to the clients, is there a way to make only one of them as primary, so only the primary server will take control over settings changes ?
Since now if one server change settings to the clients, the other server is not updated with the changes, this leads to incorrect information displayed in this server.

Thanks

I tried this and was unsuccessful. I see the same staus that you see. but when I try to run a backup via the internet server It immediately says “backup failed” and also the status is Server Rejected on the internet server.

I tried copying my server_ident files to my internet server from my local server but the server will not start with those. Any ideas @Eran ?

From my very short experiences with this particular issue. The client will use the settings given to it by the local server and ignore settings on the Internet server. I had to seperate this clients settings, enable internet mode and then put the internet auth key in but that was all done on the local server and the client pulled them.

Nevermind! I got it working. I am currently running a backup and see multiple servers in my status window.

The key to this working successfully is to make sure the 4 server_ident keys that @Eran mentions are on both servers (the *.key file is not necessary in this situation apparently) and then put all of your settings required by seperating the clients settings. One thing to remember is that when you add the client to the internet server you need to use the exact case sensitive name that is used on the local server or the internet server will reject it. I think this deserves a full tutorial. Maybe later today I will do that.

I would be over the moon to see a tutorial !

thanks!

Thanks @joeyoung25 for this tutorial.
Does anyone have some example of linux headless client configuration for multi-server ?
P

1 Like

The instructions would work on headless, you dont need the client gui at any step… or am i wrong.?