Backing up machines/files across the internet

Hi everyone,
I am trying to figure out exactly what I need to do (firewall/port forwarding wise) to be able to backup machines across the internet to my backup server. I have my domain setup (backups.domain.com) and it is pointed to my server. I am trying to point the client to the URL. But I’m a little confused on what ports I need to open? Maybe that is the problem? I’m going to test it again and see what the exact error message is, but I wondered if anyone else was trying to do this and how you had your setup set. If I missed any details in this post, please let me know and I will clarify the best I can.

Thanks!

G’day @Gilfoyle

The best place to start is the manual. I know it seems like a pass off, but honestly the more YOU read the better YOU will be to fix things if they go wrong.

So start here mate - UrBackup - Server administration manual

You are on the right track however. You will need to open ports so that public (external) access is open to the world (obviously you can make this more secure if you know the client IP’s don’t change, etc).

Here is the part in the manual which deals with ports Urbackup Server requires to be made accessible to the outside world.

Keep in mind this is not a step by step, just an encouragement to move in the right direction.
Have fun :slight_smile:

Thanks @telx!

It looks like I am on the right track. Just need to verify that I have these ports open. I will go through the guide to verify I have everything setup properly. I will try to work on this tomorrow when I have time and see how it goes. Will report back when successful! Thanks again!!

@Gilfoyle just make sure you don’t open all of these ports! For internet clients you need 55415/tcp and nothing more. If you want clients to access web UI (say to browse the files) then add 55414/tcp BUT I wouldn’t recommend that if you are using default configuration without SSL (and I’m assuming you didn’t set up a VPN).

1 Like

Hey Michal,

Thanks for the response! So sorry I am just now seeing this. I will give this a try and let you know what happens. I probably won’t let clients use the web UI, I will control all of that. I won’t have a VPN set up. If I need to add a SSL cert, I can definitely do that, but will probably just use the default settings. I’ll report back in a day or so when I have a chance to test this out. Thanks again!!

Hey @Michal,
Finally got the client connected to the backup server. I try selecting the client and selecting full image backup and it says “starting backup failed”. Says the same for a file backup. Any idea of what could be wrong? I have the settings set to allow image backups over the internet.
Thanks!