Are duplicate files transfered from client to server

The client has 15TB of space and users have been careless about making duplicate files forever. After indexing does the client transmit duplicates to the server or does the server tell it not to? I’m setting this client to backup over the internet and want to reduce both the initial backup and every thereafter.

I also plan on purchasing Change Block Tracking if I understand it correctly works for File Backups as I won’t be performing image backups.
Thanks!

Hi

Identical files shouldn’t be re-transferred.
I am … let s say 95% sure, they won’t even be transferred on the first backup, and they surely won’t be on next backups.

In internet mode it will only transfer changed parts of the same file (you trade little a cpu for bandwith).

For storage, a full takes roughly the same additional space as an incremental.
For transfer, a full re-transfer and re-check everything, so you can do them not too often, like every 30-60days.

For internet backup and 15TB, you may search the forums for backup seeding. It works because the server won’t copy the same file even from a different client.
So you can copy the files to a drive, ship it to the server, register it as a different client. Make a backup of that client. Make a backup of the real server. Delete the temp client.

Also for 15TB, maybe that’s a little early/complex, but you can look at virtual clients to backup different folders of the drive at different frequencies.

Change Block Tracking won’t help for file backups, but for image backup it will speed things a lot.

I’ve already ordered CBT because it states on the web page “speeds up image and file backups”. I hope this has been updated since you last looked at it?

The 15TB is total space, not data. The data is about 4TB but much of it is Outlook archives (that I’ve already told them won’t be backed up) and possibly many duplicate files. I’m hoping the nightly backup will be 4-5 gigs mainly because of Quickbooks. The local backup is hitting ~380 gigs nightly but that includes a boatload of Outlook. I’ll have the backup running from 10pm until 7am, adding folders in chunks until they catch up.

I’ve already ordered CBT because it states on the web page “speeds up image and file backups”. I hope this has been updated since you last looked at it?
No, i dont use it, we only backup data.

The 15TB is total space, not data. The data is about 4TB but much of it is Outlook archives (that I’ve already told them won’t be backed up) and possibly many duplicate files. I’m hoping the nightly backup will be 4-5 gigs mainly because of Quickbooks. The local backup is hitting ~380 gigs nightly but that includes a boatload of Outlook. I’ll have the backup running from 10pm until 7am, adding folders in chunks until they catch up.
That sounds much more manageable that just 15GB over internet.

Regarding Outlook it’s only the .ost files getting skipped the .pst files which actually store the emails are backed up, so expect a “boatload of outlook” skipping backing up .ost files doesn’t result in lost actual data so much as some post-restore effort fixing outlook.

CBT has had a number of updates since the documentation on the website.

We’re using Office 365, the ost files are on the workstations and I’m not backing up the workstations. The pst archives have 13+ years of mail in them, some in the 40gig range, and are located in the users network folder (where all important personal files are supposed to be located). There’s no way to push those files over the net in any reasonable time frame so the local backup will have to suffice.

I’m waiting to hear from the devs about my purchase. Anything that helps the speed is worth the money.

Much depends what you consider a reasonable time, my niece’s machine (using CBT) produces backups that size and backs up across the internet (domestic cable connections both ends), takes a while the first time she adds huge stuff, not that how long a background process takes matters all that much backing up. How long a major restore might take is an open question, though in that case I’d likely either transfer files to a USB drive or bring the machine here.