Applying shadow copy changes to C: failed: The parameter is incorrect. (code: 87)

Client: UrBackup Client 2.2.9-cbt beta(x64).msi
Windows 10 release 1709
Both image and file backups produce the following message at the beginning of a backup (a backup that otherwise seems to proceed OK):

Starting unscheduled incremental file backup…
Selected no components to backup
Applying shadow copy changes to C: failed: The parameter is incorrect. (code: 87)
Scanning for changed hard links on volume of “C:”…

Starting scheduled full file backup…
Selected no components to backup

I’ve switched from the non cbt client to the cbt client, and now every backup appears to signal this error.

Server version 2.2.8 on linux with zfs.

I am receiving the same error on several Windows 7 Enterprise machines, however some are not getting errors. All the errors started between April 2nd and 4th.

One of our two domain controllers has the error, these are both Server 2016 machines. The one with the error was rebooted the morning the error started. The other machine has not been rebooted. I haven’t checked all machines, but looks like Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines that I know haven’t rebooted, do not have the error.

Server 2.2.8 on Debian
Client 2.2.9-cbt beta

Just published 2.2.10-cbt beta. Might be fixed with that version. Thanks for reporting the issue!

Tested on Windows 7 Ent and Server 2016, both still get the error:

Info 04/06/18 20:28 Starting unscheduled incremental file backup…
Errors 04/06/18 20:28 Applying shadow copy changes to c: failed: The parameter is incorrect. (code: 87)
Info 04/06/18 20:28 Scanning for changed hard links on volume of “c:”…

Both machines were rebooted after update. They still show version 2.2.9-cbt in the server, but on the client show 2.2.10-cbt.

The infos / CBT status shows:
Volumes with active change block tracking and no crash consistency (v2.9):
C:

Last driver log messages:
Wrong magic at IOCTL_URBCT_APPLY_BITMAP

Prior to reboot, there were 4 or 5 of the “wrong magic” errors. Immediately after reboot, prior to backup there are no errors. After backup starts, but systems show the wrong magic error.

It should show ... no crash consistency (v2.10) after update+reboot. Idk why this doesn’t work. When I tested it on various machines it did update.

I think the 2.2.10 msi installer isn’t correct. Just reinstalled with the .exe installer and the status now shows …(v2.10).

File backups are working correctly again.