Appliance for Raspberry Pi 4: Input/output error (code: 5)

Hi there,
while processing a 120 GB full file backup of a Windows 10 client suddenly an error appeared somewhere in the step “Encrypting and uploading to the cloud” :

myraspi4: Error reading from file on cache - 09/18/21 14:48 (myraspi4)
Read error while reading from file /var/cdcache/cache/trans_16/6272/62720a at position 389120 len 32768 for compression and encryption. Input/output error (code: 5)
Automatic repair action: Resetting cache, then rebooting.
Automatic cache reset failed. Please contact support.

So there was no more noticable activity “Encrypting and uploading to the cloud” and so I rebooted the Raspberry and then “Encrypting and uploading to the cloud” started again.
However, is my cloud backup still consistent or is it damaged? Besides that, how could I avoid such an error?
Thanks in advance for a hint on this.

Look at /var/log/kern.log about why it got an “Input/output error”. Storage should still be good.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I just received again this error:
Read error while reading from file /var/cdcache/cache/trans_16/6272/62720a at position 389120 len 32768 for compression and encryption. Input/output error (code: 5)
Looking at my kern.log reveals some BTRFS errors.
Could you interpret these errors?

Sep 18 18:28:21 myraspi4 kernel: [ 7460.353369] BTRFS warning (device dm-0): csum failed root 353 ino 205493 off 389120 csum 0x684def90 expected csum 0xf46462ec mirror 1

Checksum error. Do what the automatic reset is supposed to do (and fails in this rpi configuration):

systemctl stop tclouddrive
btrfs subvol del /var/cdcache/cache/trans_*
init 6

If you get those checksum errors often consider using another disk as cache (or power supply etc. ).

Thanks uroni for the explanations.
I applied the commands and there was no error while executing them. I will monitor the situation the next days and report back in case the checksum errors appear again. However the SSD is a less than a month old …

Did you have any further issues? We are facing this issue as well and haven’t been able to track it down yet.

Hello meichthys,
well, the checksum errors did not come back but I decided a few days later in order to be on the safe side to make a clean new installation of the appliance. Since then I never saw theses error again. Hope you get theses issue solved on your system.