2008 Server Core Operability

Server 2008 R2 Core. Thought I’d give it a try, what the heck, I could use the Core server backed up and it sure would be nice to have it run the server component. No dice. No immediate errors on install. However, the services did not start after install for the server nor the client. Attempted to run the Client program from the .exe (hey, some windows programs do start), no dice. Attempted to start the services, no go.

If interested, I can email you the System log events generated (.evtx file). They may be helpful to you.

My thoughts are, the server component could run, it is a service only with a web client. No user interface to worry about on such a GUI-less system. The Client GUI (task tray) is not a must IF, I can trigger a client to perform the varies backup types, and perform the client config components (backup paths) from the server interface OR create a web interface for the client. This way I can perform all UrBackup functions from my management PC.

I’m a tech pro, not just a hobbyist, if you need some help getting your software to work in a Core server, I can help test it, maybe even an RDP to a domain account.

Thanks for such a promising project.

-Jeff

Core server means it is a minimal 2008 R2?
The tray icon is not really necessary. I plan on publishing an installer without it. You can already specify the paths from the server. There is even a UrBackup commandline client with which you can start backups from the client/anywhere in the network if you have the client generated key. (You could include this key into the installer, so every backup client has the same one)

What could be the problem with “Core” (I’m guessing there since you did not give the exact error message) is that the 32bit compatibility layer is optional ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64 ) and not present on your server. The Installer is 32bits (not UrBackup itself) so it won’t run.
I guess at some point I have to also provide MSI installers but I never did that before and working into a new Installer is a bit of work. It is harder than one thinks as it has to kill the old processes, install system services and add firewall exceptions.

How does one get such a core install (I do have pretty much any Windows edition available through MSDNAA)?

[quote=“uroni”]Core server means it is a minimal 2008 R2?
The tray icon is not really necessary. I plan on publishing an installer without it. You can already specify the paths from the server. There is even a UrBackup commandline client with which you can start backups from the client/anywhere in the network if you have the client generated key. (You could include this key into the installer, so every backup client has the same one)

What could be the problem with “Core” (I’m guessing there since you did not give the exact error message) is that the 32bit compatibility layer is optional ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64 ) and not present on your server. The Installer is 32bits (not UrBackup itself) so it won’t run.
I guess at some point I have to also provide MSI installers but I never did that before and working into a new Installer is a bit of work. It is harder than one thinks as it has to kill the old processes, install system services and add firewall exceptions.

How does one get such a core install (I do have pretty much any Windows edition available through MSDNAA)?[/quote]

I’ve attached the events. Yes, core is minimal 2008, no “real” GUI. Opens to a command prompt, does have crude menu that can be fired up. The problem is likely with the core server itself.

Nice to know I can run the clients from a remote command line.

When using a 2008 R2 install DVD, installing core is one of the options that comes up when offered to install Standard or Enterprise, etc… And it is a free download independently from MS. Not sure if all types of 2008 install disks have the option. The TechNet download for this is: Windows Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1 (x64) - DVD (English) |en_windows_server_2008_r2_with_sp1_x64_dvd_617601.iso). Great resources for getting around in the core edition are of course MS and Petri - http://www.petri.co.il/installing-windows-server-2008-core.htm . Keep in mind when searching for help, although the basic install is the same, 2008 R2 has had significant changes over 2008, some directions do not inter-mix.

So, I’ll look into the 32bit compatibility.

Does the installer itself need to run in this mode, just the the subsequent programs or both?

Thanks again.

Only the installer. It’s NSIS, which doesn’t have a 64bit version. (Probably still okay, because that way users don’t have to choose between two installers)

Does UrBackup have a .net 32-bit dependency?

Nope. It does have a CPython dependency though. And it depends on the usual MSVCRT. The Installer installes that though.
You can check if Python is the reason it does not work by deleting pychart.dll (It does work without python as well). If you got it installed can you check that?

Installed the WOW64 role. Came installed on 2008 core, they removed it from the default install for 2008 RC core. Anyhow, this time when I installed it the UrBackup service is started however, I can not contact the webpage. Tried running the urbackup_srv.exe and got an error popup, “can’t start because MSVCP100.dll is missing. Try reinstalling to fix this”

would reinstall help? insert the MSVCP100.dll file?

Thanks
-Jeff

That’s the mentioned MSVC runtime. Weird, as the installer should automatically download and install them. Maybe this did not work?
You can get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14632

I saw your installer downloading that file. May just me (poor perception), but somehow I thought your installer went through that part of the install (vcredist_x64.exe download/install) faster this time then the first time I installed Urbackup a week or so ago. So I gather this failed. Does your installer fail if the installation of vcredist_x64.exe errors? If the installer fails, is this dependent on the OS? Maybe core doesn’t provide the framework for your installer to indicate vcredist_x64.exe failed or errored.

Anyhow, I installed vcredist_x64.exe. The Server now functions, management page comes up. Client installed without issue, the server made contact with the client.

In Summary for UrBackup on 2008 R2 core:
[list]1) Before installing UrBackup: Add the WOW64 role by running the command:
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:ServerCore-WOW64

1. Download and install vcredist_x64.exe:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14632

2. Install UrBackup.

3. Pay attention to the settings in the server interface. Settings > ‘Select client from dropdown’ > Default directories to backup (RTM-helps to know some syntax:
    http://www.urbackup.org/Administration_Manual.php?lang=en#x1-290006.2.3
    )

4. Checkout the client CLI options to run on the core CLI or from a remote location. I did not see these options in the documentation, running “UrBackupClient_cmd.exe” without arguments shows the options.[/list:u:c21xmcmk]

If this summary falls short, please comment.

Thanks uroni for your help. Great software with great support.

-Jeff