Urbackupsrv crashes on Ubuntu 20.04

I also tested yesterday with the very new 2.4.13 and had the same issue

Is there an update to this?

I’ve installed Ubuntu 20.04 on my home server and urbackup is crashing when an internet client connects.

I’ve ran the opensuse version for the debug symbols and got the following:

2020-08-09 15:42:39: InternetService: No available slots… starting new Worker
[New Thread 0x7fffb27fc700 (LWP 764074)]
–Type for more, q to quit, c to continue without paging–bt
Thread 27 “InternetService” received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fffb27fc700 (LWP 764074)]
__memmove_sse2_unaligned_erms () at …/sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memmove-vec-unaligned-erms.S:383
383 …/sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memmove-vec-unaligned-erms.S: No such file or directory.

Output of cpuinfo

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 6
model name : AMD Turion™ II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor
stepping : 3
microcode : 0x10000c8
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt nodeid_msr hw_pstate vmmcall npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
bugs : tlb_mmatch apic_c1e fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs null_seg amd_e400 spectre_v1 spectre_v2
bogomips : 2994.99
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

Seems a pattern that it happens with old AMD Athlon processors?

Also as ivan said, the problem seems to be in in the crypto++ package, which is not part of urbackup server.

In my case it’s an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU.
It quite clearly is related to the packages in 20.04, since running the official docker image works fine (that’s my current workaround).

1 Like

Dual xeon’s here with same issue once I upgraded to Ubuntu server 20.04 from 18.04. Definitely an issue with the libcrypto++6 upgrade from 5.6.4-8 to 5.6.4-9.

As said, I cannot reproduce the issue when I try it e.g. on a DigitalOcean Ubuntu 20.04 instance.

Ran

wget http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libc/libcrypto++/libcrypto++6_5.6.4-8_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libcrypto++6_5.6.4-8_amd64.deb

like @ivan recommended. Then ran

sudo apt-mark hold libcrypto++6

Seemed to resolve issue. Have multiple backup servers running Ubuntu 20.04, and all of them couldn’t run urbackupsrv. Would crash with Segmentation Fault. Can do other updates after holding the package.

And have Intel and AMD and Server and Desktop processors in use at the moment.

I tried the package libcrypto++6_5.6.4-9 (same version as in Ubuntu) from debian/sid repo and it also solves the issue. So it looks like ubuntu-package-related (not library-version related)

wget http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libc/libcrypto++/libcrypto++6_5.6.4-9_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libcrypto++6_5.6.4-9_amd64.deb

1 Like

Could someone having the problem file a bug? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libcrypto++/+filebug

bug reported https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libcrypto++/+bug/1893934

1 Like

Linux newbie here. First time building an ubuntu server to use as a urBackup server and for the life of me I could not figure out why urbackup process would die without warning. I set DEBUG on the log and still it wouldn’t give me a reason, it would just die on "InternetService: No available slots... starting new Worker" but the log would stop there. I narrowed it down to internet clients (closing the port on router made everything work fine for the local clients) but was stuck without a solution.
Thanks to your tip, now everything is working perfectly! Kuddos!

Hello,
I face that same problem.
Do you know why libcrypto++6 new version creates that issue ? Is there any incompatibilty resolution planned ?
Many thanks

Did anyone get this sorted? Mine keeps crashing about 50% of the way through a 140gb backup. It was working fine, but last week it started playing up. I’ve deleted the client, and run a cleanup. That freed up the space. Now I re-added it, but it keeps crashing still part way through. I can’t see anything in the log files either, so I’m not sure what is causing it :frowning:

Do you try
wget http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libc/libcrypto++/libcrypto++6_5.6.4-9_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libcrypto++6_5.6.4-9_amd64.deb
?

Hello,
The same situation: Ubuntu 20.04.2 - up to date with Urbackup Server 2.4.13.
I can confirm, it’s working, no more crash when client connecting from the internet:
wget http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libc/libcrypto++/libcrypto++6_5.6.4-8_amd64.deb 2
sudo dpkg -i libcrypto++6_5.6.4-8_amd64.deb

Thanks @ivan

1 Like

New installation (My second server) on ProxMox virtual Ubuntu 20.04 and experienced this exact scenario. The downgrade and hold of libcrypto++6 worked for me. :+1:

1 Like

I can confirm: Ubuntu 20.04.3 up to date with Urbackup 2.4.15: still crahes after the internet client is conected. The above solution is still working :grinning:

This has definitely something to do with CPU as well (apart from libcrypto).

I’m looking after many UrBackup Servers and I had this problem only twice - both times on some old AMD CPU. And both times it started working just after I moved to a different machine with more modern CPU (the same system and configuration).

Still, the docker container still works perfectly. It needs to be some combination of installed libraries as well.

My configuration: Core2Duo E7500, 8GB Memory, 2x2TB HDD with software Raid.
I did an apt upgrade only, after that was a crash.