UrBackup same as I-Drive BMR?

Client uses “I-Drive BMR” for backup but with limited space so I setup UrBackup and after installing the client on a PC for a test the backup immediately started but instead of going to the UrBackup server it started the backup to the I-Drive BMR appliance.

Maybe I’ve discovered this company is really just reselling UrBackup under their brand…

Just wondering if anyone here had any info.

Cheers,
-Bob

Later: Reply from idrive.com is yes they are using urbackup as backend. I think I can get around idrive grabbing the client by specifying the client on the server side and then downloading the client from the urbackup server. We’ll see. Currently rebuilding my server

I’ve try everything I can think of, using the creator installer, etc, replacing the server key doesn’t work either: The machine will still backup to the I-Drive, too.

What I’m going to try next is putting a black hole route to the I-Drive so it can’t talk to it(!) Sometimes the simpler solutions are best, LOL

There’s an even simpler one. Just uninstall I-Drive before installing the client.

Or rename the I-Drive program and any existing UrBackup folders so the OS can’t find it to start anything, then install the client. Followed by running a registry cleaner.

I-drive is not installed. Ur backup client shares same source code as I-drive client. I may not have been clear in my original post but the Ur client sees the Idrive and backs up to the Idrive before it even sees the Ur server.

I’m going to try some routing/ACL’s to control the traffic

Well it’s picking up the I-Drive config to point at their server from somewhere, folders or config files left behind during the uninstall? Hosts file entries? (Can’t imagine that one, though should be easy to black-hole traffic there by making one yourself).

Yeah, I’m going to move one or both servers to a subnet different from the clients on another. I assume at that point I need to use the Internet method which I heard was slower. Can you confirm?

Well usually it’s quite a bit slower, but I think (but can’t confirm absolutely) that the main bottleneck in internet mode is the internet WAN connections tending to be so much slower than LAN connections.