Timeout: Sending Identity to client

I have a WD My Book Live which has Debian on it (a mix of wheezy and lenny packages, for the required and missing packages I installed the wheezy packages). The CPU is powerpc type, so it’s big endian.
I installed latest version of urbackup-server 1.3.2 on the WD Live and the client 1.3.1 on Windows 8.1. The server finds the client, but it keeps showing Starting for the client. Debug on server shows:
Timeout: Sending Identity to client “laptop-dell” failed. Retrying soon…

Can it be a problem with endiennes, or it’s another problem? I uninstalled and reinstalled the server and client several times, I also tried with urbackup-server-1.3.2.545-debian.tar.gz.
I’ve installed urbackup-server on Pogoplug Pro with Debian and I have no problems with the installation. The problem is that the PogoPlug freezes from time to time. But it does it that without urbackup too.

P.S. I also get this error:
ERROR: Download err: ERROR (2, 0) url=http://update1.urbackup.org/version.txt
There is no firewall on the WD Live.

It basically currently assumes it is running on a little endian system. There are a lot of points where endianess isn’t handled properly. One of the points would be where the length of network messages is prepended, so it cannot communicate little endian <-> big endian, at all (broken).

I also wouldn’t trust the VHD writer/reader. The custom .mbr format doesn’t handle big endian as well (well if you don’t want to be able to only restore on a big endian maschine).

I don’t have any maschine where I could test if any fixes work.

I’m willing to help you and test new versions, if you decide to start providing fixes for big endian machines.

Great. I have pushed some changes with regards to endianess to the “next” branch in git://git.code.sf.net/p/urbackup/backend . See build_server.sh on how to build it.

I get a similar error:
2014-02-24 00:44:16: New Backupclient: dimo-samsung

2014-02-24 00:44:26: Sending Identity to client “dimo-samsung” failed. Retrying in 10min…
2014-02-24 00:44:26: Timeout: Sending Identity to client “dimo-samsung” failed. Retrying in 10min…
2014-02-24 00:44:29: Parsing done… starting handling request_num: 0 1000970
2014-02-24 00:44:29: Sending file: /usr/local/var/urbackup/www/index.htm
2014-02-24 00:44:29: Sending file: /usr/local/var/urbackup/www/index.htm done
2014-02-24 00:44:30: Parsing done… starting handling request_num: 0 1001658

I tried with a newly installed client on a new machine. In the server dashboard it shows:
Server rejected ?
Before it was showing Starting only. Now it did show Starting, but then showed Server rejected?.