Special treatment of .pst files (not .ost files)

If i start 1st backup of PST file which is 4.8 GB, next day of incremental backup also PST have 4.8GB . its make daily 4.8GB PST file in incremental folders. How to do Overwrite PST & make 1 updated file. ???

Did you set your local transfermode for incremental backups to “block differences - hashed”?

Hi Martin,

How can fix this, pst is big pain to handle with urbackup, occupying lots of space in server…

please help

Has anyone tried to use the windows server 2012 R2 deduplication feature with this? From R2 its actually a block level deduplication instead of file level. This should in theory take care of the PST problem.

I redid my urbackup server and moved from linux/freenas to server 2012 R2 today. I’ll report back in a week or so with the deduplication results once I’ve gotten enough data on there.

Please do. If you have a long period with no backups at all the offline block-level deduplication of Windows Server may not impact performance at all. Have you tried the FreeNAS ZFS online deduplication?

I never tried the ZFS dedupe as my backup server didnt have the crazy memory requirements that ZFS supposedly needs to function, just stuck to compression.

Results with regards to the Server 2012 R2 dedupe:

Very impressive results!!

This is for about a week’s worth of backups. The amount of deduped data should be about 5 days. I do daily backups on the default settings but only from 6:00 - 20:00. Mostly users but a few servers with files on there also

There are a lot of user PST files and they are mostly around 10 gig per backup (they have to keep old mails for historical reasons).

I can only Imagine that this dedupe number will carry on getting better as more PST backups happen.

1 Like