Restore from harddisk smaller than original server

Hello!
I am trying to restore from a server that has 500 GB harddisk and then client that i have only have a 100 GB harddisk and it says that i dont have enough space? The total of the backup is 20 GB.
Any fix on this?

I must assume that you are asking about an image backup.
An image backup cannot be restored to a drive smaller than the one that the image was created from.
An image backup contains data required to restore every cluster within the partition.
All empty space on the backed up partition is compressed to almost nothing.
Therefor, the size of the backup is meaningless.
Restore of an image backup recreates the entire partition.
Restore has no way to eliminate the empty space in order to create a smaller partition.

I hope this helps.
That’s all for now, eewiz.

1 Like

Because urbackup use vhd for image backups, there should be ways to restore to a smaller drive, but maybe not an easy one

You could try to wiggle around using third party tool:
Restore to a vm first. Use some tool that allow to resize partitions/disks Then use some other tool to go from vm to physic (v2p).

I guess that some payware tool even allow to do all the in one go.

chris2811,
If we’re talking about an NTFS partition.
Orogor’s method of restoring to a VM and then shrinking the partition works but not from 500GB down to 100GB.
Formatting NTFS creates the Master File Table (MFT) in the center of the NTFS partition. That’s the fastest place to put it.
The MFT is manipulated directly by the kernel outside of the NTFS file system.
The MFT cannot be moved within the partition.
This means that an NTFS partition can’t be shrunk beyond about 51% of the original partition size.
Since the MFT can’t be moved, it ends up residing at the end of the newly shrunk partition.

eewiz

I have to do so, about

1. restore to hdd equal to original 500 or more,
  2. use gparted for shrink 500 to 100
  3. clone by Clonezilla, or Acronis TI,
    or copy by gparted - 2 partition’s 100mb and 100gb on empty 100 hdd - by any of theese soft.
  4. check bootable flags