Request Features

Hi, I having tried this software from a couple of versions earlier, I can say that is an excellent tool and very useful, I want to congrats you by your work and for keep it free.
Now the request of features that can be added:
1 is possible to use the environment variables of the client side to set the “Default directories to backup”, like c:\Users%username%\Desktop.
2 The simultaneous Backup and the bandwidth usage, can be increased/decreased automatically after certain hour, like night hours when noone is using the network
3 A WoL feature can be a useful add to those users that forgot to keep the PC running.
4 A migration tool to move the server to a different PC without lose the client setup.
5 If I delete manually the files and folders from storage path, add a button to refresh the estatistic section.

That’s all for now, thanks again.
Have a nice day.

1. There exists a workaround: http://www.urbackup.org/faq.html#include_files I don’t think another method is needed.
  2. Already in the queue.
  3. I’ll have to think about that. How easy/difficult is it to use external tools for that, and how can UrBackup integrate it better?
  4. You can migrate, it’s just difficult and undocumented. Basically copy all the files in the urbackup server folder and keep the backup storage path the same. So documenting that should be a goal.
  5. Yeah, seems doable.

“There exists a workaround: UrBackup - Frequently asked questions I don’t think another method is needed.”

With this method it’s not possible to backup file of a specific user on that PC.
For example in our business multiple people are using the same PC. (they work in shifts)
I do not want to include “Peter’s docs” in the backup of “Angela”.

So it would be very nice if we could use “%username%” in the “Default directories to backup”

Just my two cents

I’m sorry maybe I was not clear on Point 1, the idea is put variables in the server setup "Default directories to backup: ", then you don’t need to add folders manually on each PC.
If you have 100 PC to backing up and need to install and configure one by one, that’s slow… and you must interact with final users :-p
Eg, if you only backup Documents, in the server just put “Default directories to backup: c:\document and settings%username%\My Documents, c:\Users\Documents” and you save a lot of time.
But, %username% must be the environment variable in the client side…that’s is the tricky question, I think.

@Mario_Rasder:
As mentioned in the FAQ you’d set default_dirs to “C:\Users” and include_dirs to “Users:\Documents”. Adding a %username% instead of “:” would have the same effect.

Maybe what you are describing is that UrBackup only backs up the files of the currently logged in user, i.e. what @MartijnS means. UrBackup runs and backups on a Computer level. There are, however, plans to make the files users have access to more easily accessible via the web interface. I think that should also satisfy MartijnS’s use case. (User clicks on the UrBackup tray icon and can access the files on the UrBackup server which he has (or had) the rights to access locally )

I understand urbackup is currently running at computer level.
But I can imagine that some users want to use urbackup more or less at userlevel.
Like we want to do in our business.

We have more than 100 pc’s/users. We do not use the urbackup’s functionality to use image backups. Mainly so save network bandwidth and diskspace. If a user HD crashes, we just do a fresh install (based on a sysprep) and restore the user files.

What you described in your comment as "User clicks on the UrBackup tray icon and can access the files on the UrBackup server which he has (or had) the rights to access locally " we try to achieve using samba.

Each user will have a network drive mapping called “X:\backup”.
Today we map the /mnt/urbackup/“client-name” directory using this samba configuration:

[Backup]
        comment = urBackup directory %m
        browseable = yes
        read only = yes
        guest ok = yes
        path = /mnt/urbackup/%m
        force group = urbackup

It would be nice if an additional level could be added: A user level.
Currently the data structure is like this on the urbackup server:

--client-name
----current
----date1
----date2

it would be nice if we could add an additional level

--client-name
----username1
------current
------date1
------date2
----username2
------current
------date1
------date2

My samba configuartion will look like this

[Backup]
            comment = urBackup directory %u
            browseable = yes
            read only = yes
            guest ok = yes
            path = /mnt/urbackup/%m/%u
            force group = urbackup

To achieve this urbackup should “run at userlevel mode” and not at computer level.

Or maybe we could achieve this in a different way?

Yes there is a different way, because the above feature requires UrBackup to store all user-level read permissions:

• Either create a separate directory for each backup and user with symlinks to files/folders which the users can access. The layout would be similar to the layout you proposed. This would require additional work (creating the symlinks and deleting them), but would also work on Windows servers.
  • A fuse-layer which shows the user-views. Then UrBackup would not have to actually materialize the views. The layout would be similar to the layout you proposed.

I think I’ll go with solution two (fuse-layer), as long as no Windows server user needs this feature? I don’t think either is much work, because the read-permissions are already there.

Currently I am using CentOS + btrfs because I need the btrfs snapshot functionality (for the backup of my .pst files).
I can imagine that windows server users are interested as well in this feature.
In windows login script you could use %username% and %computername% as well.
Why do you think windows server users do not need this feature?