Problem setting up zfs installation

Hello,
after running with btrfs for a long time I now want to switch to ZFS with a new setup.

I create a new pool with dedup and compression enabled and two datasets tank/urbackup and tank/urbackup_files.
According to the admin guide I configured urbackup:

% cat /etc/urbackup/backupfolder
/tank/urbackup
% cat /etc/urbackup/dataset
tank/urbackup
% cat /etc/urbackup/dataset_file
tank/urbackup_files

In the webinterface i configured the backuppath as /tank/urbackup.

Now whenever a backup starts, it just aborts with this error:

Error creating hash folder. No such file or directory (code: 2)
Cannot create directory /tank/urbackup/myserver/230112-0829 for backup (server error). No such file or directory (code: 2)
Backup failed

The directory it cannot find is a symlink

% sudo ls -lh /tank/urbackup/myserver/230112-0829
lrwxrwxrwx 1 urbackup urbackup 43 Jan 12 08:29 /tank/urbackup/myserver/230112-0829 → /tank/urbackup_files/myserver/230112-0829

And it indeed didnt create the destination folder

% ls -lh /tank/urbackup_files/myserver/230112-0829
ls: cannot access ‘/tank/urbackup_files/myserver/230112-0829’: No such file or directory

While urbackup createt /tank/urbackup_files/myserver/, no subfolder exists.

What am I missing? Thanks.

Hello,
just wanted to give an update that i solved the issue. In the documentation there is a sidenote, that in this setup urbackupsrv should be run as root, but beside the cli to start its not written how you actually configure this. It should be added in the guide.

user@server ~ % tail -3 /etc/default/urbackupsrv
#User the urbackupsrv process runs as
USER=“root”
#USER=“urbackup”
user@server ~ % sudo systemctl restart urbackupsrv

Sadly I jsut got to the next problem, that “urbackupsrv remove-unknown” deletes all backups from the database and doesnt seem to recognize neither present file, nor image backups. All files stay where they are, including the zfs filesystem, it just gets removed from the database. Therefor the software also claimes no backups exist anymore afterwards.
I found several people in the forum with old posts having the same problem, but seems like nobody cared about that issue…

Hi @dermute ,
it’s a pitfall…
Run your command with -u root.

urbackupsrv remove-unknown -u root

Knut