Problem restoring .app (e.g. Macintosh Applications)

As part of the testing we are doing I am backing up various types of files from OS X (in this case macOS Sierra beta 16A286a.

Most files backup and restore on the Mac side without error. .app files (which are in a sense actually directories) appear to backup without error, but upon restore I get a crossed out icon like this…

Upon attempting to open the file/app I then get this…

This suggests to me an issue with the file system to which I am backing up (NTFS). If that is the case am I better off in a mixed-OS client environment choosing ZFS or btrfs as the server file system?

Perhaps there is something else entirely different going on?

Of note I am running 2.0.32RC under Windows 2012 and 2.0.31RC on the Mac side. Note that Windows backups seems to be unaffected by this issue.

Thanks!

I might have already found the issue. Could you have a look at “C:\Program Files\UrBackupServer\urbackup.log” and if there are any error messages there during/after Mac restore?

Hi Martin,

Interesting, yes there are a number of errors for each file within the .app noted in the log similar to this:

ERROR: Error opening file handle to \?\C:\urbackup\semone-mbpro-13\160809-1858~test\Eclipse Installer.app\Contents\Eclipse\plugins\org.w3c.dom.svg_1.1.0.v201011041433.jar. A required privilege is not held by the client. (code: 1314)

Thanks!

Sounds like the permissions are messed up at some point…

Hey Hippy. It sure could be… what is strange is that all other tested file types seem to backup and restore without error. In fact I can zip a .app and then back up and restore and unzip and all is well. I suppose I could run a pre-flight script to do that, but it seems like it shouldn’t need to.

I also tried a file system copy of the .app (in this case the Eclipse installer) from the server to the client but still ended up with an unusable file.

Maybe there are a couple inter-related issues going on. :confused:

Well, it should be fixed with this server version: UrBackup Server 2.0.33 RC/Client 2.0.32 RC

Great! I’ll try those out and report back. :slight_smile:

Initial testing shows that the new versions work! Thanks for the quick iteration. :slight_smile: