Noob Questionn that no doubt has been asked many times

Local then offsite backups from a client.

Sorry for the question but my eyes are now bleeding and my head hurts. I’m trying to setup a local server on a clients Server and have the local PCs/Laptops backu up to it. That bit is working great. I would then like them to backup to a remote server once the local backup has been completed. Is this possible and is it easy to setup. I though I had it correct in my head but cant seem to get the clients to connect to the remote server at all.

Any avdvice is welcome.

Cheers

Andy

If you want to have several servers to be able to do backups of a client you have two options. Either you manually supply the server credentials to the client (by copying them into ’server_idents.txt’) or you give all servers the same credentials by copying the same ’server_ident.key’, ’server_ident_ecdsa409k1.p riv’ and ’server_ident_ecdsa409k1.pub’ to all servers.

https://www.urbackup.org/administration_manual.html#x1-230004.3

1 Like

Thank sIll give this a go next week when im back in work

Andyd358,

You may wish to view this thread:
https://forums.urbackup.org/t/two-urbackup-server-in-the-same-net/5209/3

I’m warning you about doing this. I JUST DID EXACTLY THAT, now every time the client is uploading 1TB, and including things that has NEVER been backed up in the files.

It started after a few days. It worked perfectly a few days, then the client on the pc I turn off at nights broke. No idea why.

No response from the devs!

Just a frendly warning, you can read the other thread I made about this EXACT thing not working.

I now have to wait 6 hrs for something that should take 1 minute, every day, even after removing the second server.

So I thought I had it setup correctly bbut seems not. Status says its connected to the local server (Internet No), Not trying to connect to the internet server.

In the settings I have the correct information as in te URL and Internet server password.

I have also copied the Server_Ident keys from the internet server to the local server and restarted everything.

The local backups are working fine.

Ok follow these steps:

1. Install Local Backup Server and configure backup scheduling for it.

2. Install Offsite server and configure backup scheduling. In this case these settings can be useful:
    Mon-Fri/0-24 - for incrementals
    Sat-Sun/0-24 - for full backups
    4096;2048@Mon-Fri/8-18 - Max backup speed as Internet/active client:
    10240 - total max backup speed
    You also can limit speed for local backups while working hours.

3. Copy these files from one server to another (they must be same on both servers), they can be found in server’s folder (/var/urbackup):

server_ident.key
server_ident.priv
server_ident.pub
server_ident_ecdsa409k1.priv
server_ident_ecdsa409k1.pub
  1. If you wish you can stop both servers, then remove these files, and start servers again (one or both)

urbackupsrv will recreate these files, and you will be ensured that no rogue clients will be connected.

1. Ensure you configured servers right:

Connect as Internet/active client if connected to as local/passive client: = Enable
Server URL clients connect to = urbackup://offsiteserver.domain.local:55415
(On old clients use without urbackup://, but port must be defined)

Do image backups as Internet/active client: = Enable
(and File if you use both)

Non-default port can be configured on Advanced Tab but you need to reload service.

Clients try to connect via Internet/active client: = Enable
This option allows server to listen 55415 (or what you define) and operate as Internet server, no need to enable on Local server.

1. Refresh clients settings. Stop clients for 5 minutes. Clean identities. Start them again.
net stop UrBackupClientBackend
del /f "C:\Program Files\UrBackup\server_idents.txt"
net start UrBackupClientBackend

Tips:
Ensure VSS working fine:

# Windows 7/10
wmic.exe /Namespace:\\root\DEFAULT Path SystemRestore Call CreateRestorePoint "<Daily snapshot>", 100, 7

# Windows Server
vssadmin.exe Create Shadow /AutoRetry=15 /For=C:
vssadmin.exe Create Shadow /AutoRetry=15 /For=D:

# Windows 7/10/Server 2008 +
wmic ShadowCopy Call Create Volume="C:\"
wmic ShadowCopy Call Create Volume="D:\"

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=20%
vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=D: /On=D: /MaxSize=20%

Check firewall settings:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name = urBackup_files dir = in protocol = tcp action = allow localport = 35621 remoteip = localsubnet profile = Any
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name = urBackup_images dir = in protocol = tcp action = allow localport = 35623 remoteip = localsubnet profile = Any
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name = urBackup_discovery dir = in protocol = udp action = allow localport = 35622 remoteip = localsubnet profile = Any

I also can recommend to use limited number of active clients:
2 - if you have 10-20 clients and at least 4-8Gb RAM on backup server.
4 - if you have 20-40 clients and at least 16-32Gb RAM.
Limit max recent active clients to 250-1000 it’s enough in most cases for me. I hope it will save some memory and resources. Need comments by @uroni

Cleanup window time - depends on how big is your storage and how often you need to do retention: I use 1-7/12-24.

I also use RAW transfer modes with Compression and Encryption for all except Internet incrementals.

Backup window: 4096;2048@Mon-Fri/8-18 - means single client will backup on 4Mbps but while 8:00 - 18:00 on 2Mbps, and I will use 10240 - 10Mbps as total backup speed allowed on server for Internet clients. For example If I have 2 clients then they will use 4Mbps during night and 2Mbps while work hours and no more than 1Mbps together, if I add 3rd it will utilize 2-3Mbps in parallel with other 2.

Without backing it up first huh?
At least tell him to do a bak file of it instead of just straight up deleting it imho.

Edit.
Backups should be made of ALL files before just copying over imo, standard computer practice!

1 Like

No need to backup this on client unless you have only one client. You can copy back old ones from another clients. It will be same.

Note. You are going to wait 5 minutes while cleaning identities on clients. Because clients sessions on server must reach status “Offline”.

I assume that people will test everything they are have copied from Internet. :slight_smile:

Lol, that’s the defense you are going for instead of just editing your post and change the delete command to a move command.

If you want to take responsibility for him not following basic computer practice, It’s on you.
Myself, I warn you OP, ALWAYS make backups on files you are about to copy over.

Thank you both for your responses Ill give this ago in the next few days and keep you updated. Pretty sre ive done this already but will start a fresh.