How to restore my data from the Backup?

Windows most likely won’t be able to mount it, or does it have fuse available? That’s what worries me the most, trying to mount and breaking it, I have another 5TB driv, but I wanted to use this one to actually put the restored data on this one, if I make a copy of the backup drive, I don’t have a place to put my restored files

Edit: The setup is pretty bad, it’s an unraid machine running a docker container with UrBackup Server, having an external 5TB drive that is mounted in unraid and passed into the container as /media. So the drive holding the backups is an external drive. I could mount the second external HDD and pass it as some other folder into the container and have both available, but as stated this one was ment to safe the files to later. hard to decide what’s best todo, I guess I try to go something to eat now, even tho I don’t have much appetite right now, I need to get something. Will be back later

Edit 2: I can’t answer anymore due to some limits on this board, I will look into it later and hope I can reply again tomorrow

Why do you think that? Maybe it is so, but you wont know until you try!
I posted a link on how to mount virtual hd:s on window earlier, multiple ways.

Yeah, and if you start with the small file, 1TB, mount that and copy that 1TB, that makes 2TB, a 5TB disk should fit that no?
We are just trying to figure out a way to access your data here, NOT restore the images.
(make sure the img you try to mount is a non-incremental one)

Edit
Yes, go eat, rest up your mind, maybe even sleep on it and we continue when you have time.
There are thins that has not been understood by me, f ex I thouhght the new 5TB was mounted on your windows machine.

Maybe make a little map of your setup and what drives you have available to move between the machines, that would make it way easier for me to help you out. <3
Rest up and come back when you feel better, we will fix this buddy!

1 Like

Just a thought:
It appears to be a compressed VHD (VHDZ) file that is named VHD. Maybe renaming the copy with a VHDZ extension will allow Hyper-V/Windows to interpret it correctly.

Just a thought.

Sorry for my late answer, but I don’t had much time to deal with all this, I created a VM and created VHDs that should have fit for the backupped sizes.

Today I tried to restore my first (smaller 1TB) backup into that VHD and it worked, so I mounted the VHD into Windows and can access the data. It’s copying to an external drive right now. Some hours still to go :crossed_fingers:

I also tried the seond ~2TB Partition to restore it into my 1.99TB VHD I created, but it failed. Not enough space. Things just can’t be easy, creating this large file took quite a while already and I guess I either need to delete it and try a flat 2TB one or I need to figure out how I can create a 2.2TB VHDX to restore into that instead… However I can’t use my VirtualBox for that, because it seems to not support VHDX at all and has a hard limit to create virtial drives with 2TB only…

So I am a little further, but still need to hope I can also restore my larger partition somehow…

I didn’t tried to mount the backup vhds, because I don’t want to currupt them. Also there are incremental backups that are hard to deal with, since I want to restore latest data, but the full backup is older than the latest increment, so mounting it directly is not really an option.

I really hope I will find a way to have a drive large enough so restore also the second partition…

Thanks for all your help, if you still have any hints/tipps they are always welcome <3

1 Like

Okay, I successfully restored & saved the smaller partition. However the bigger one seem to not fit into an 2TB VHD created with VirtualBox… Guess my partition was slightly bigger than that. Guess my only hope is an vhdx then, but first I need to see how to create that and how to setup a VM that can use it, I hope Hyper-V can do that, but would need to install that first, seems like I don’t have it on my Windows 10 Machine :frowning:

Why things can’t be just simple sometimes? :frowning:
Well, guess this whole topic will still bogger me for a while, hoped I could solve it over the Weekend

I have to ask again.

Have you TRIED mounting them directly in windows with any of the 3 methods in the link I provided instead of creating vm’s and all that jazz?

To me, logically, if a vm can do it, why not do it DIRECTELY on the os you run instead?
Just seems to me you over complicate things like crazy.